D3 and mvBase

View Only
  • 1.  D3/Linux 10.3 Auto Start on Reboot

PARTNER
    Posted 10-21-2022 04:32
    Morning All (South African Time!),

I seem to remember Rocket provides an easy way to load the necessary services to enable auto start on reboot - I have limited desire & knowledge to get on First Name terms with systemctl :)

I did look through the Installation Guide but didn't find anything there.

Any bright ideas appreciated or even pointing me to the documentation I may have missed.

Cheers
    Tom

------------------------------
    Tom Power
    Owner
    Power Business Systems
    Benoni ZA

• 2.  RE: D3/Linux 10.3 Auto Start on Reboot

ROCKETEER
    Posted 10-21-2022 18:36
    Try the D3 Linux Admin Guide:

https://www3.rocketsoftware.com/rocketd3/support/documentation/d3linux/103/admin/index.htm

The "Runnning D3 as a Service" topic is in the Apendix.

Running D3 as a Service

As of D3 10.2, D3 can be set to automatically start and stop when your system is started or stopped.

This feature is not installed by default. To install this feature, execute:

systemctl enable d3_pick0

Depending on your current system configuration, you may be required to update some variables in the d3shutdown script to enable this feature. The d3shutdown script is located in the /usr/lib/pick/ directory. Review the table below to determine whether you will be required to add or update any of the d3shutdown script variables. See the d3tcl Command (UNIX) topic in the D3 Reference Manual for more information on these variables.

Variable Description
    PICKVM By default, this feature works with the pick0 virtual machine. However, if you have renamed the virtual machine, you must update the PICKVM variable with the new name.
    PICKUSER If you want to log on as a user other than the dm user, you must add the PICKUSER variable with the new user name. Note that this is not required if you are running D3 with the Host Authentication feature enabled.
    PICKUPASS If the user specified in the PICKUSER variable has a password associated to it, you must add the PICKUPASS variable with the password.
    PICKMD If you want to log on to another account other than the dm account, you must add the PICKMD variable with the new account name.
    PICKMDPASS If the account name specified in the PICKMD variable has a password associated to it, you must add the PICKMDPASS variable with the password.

If you need to modify this script, then it is recommended that you copy this script into another location and modify the copy (the copy in /usr/lib/pick will be overwritten by the D3_setup process). If you copy the script to another location, then you must also update the entry in /usr/lib/systemd/system/d3_pick0.service for d3shutdown to it's new location.

Note:
    • When shutting down your system, the d3shutdown script will attempt to connect to Line 0. As such, it is recommended that no D3 connections to Line 0 exist prior to shutting down. If line 0 is in use, then the shutdown script will terminate D3 using a d3 –k command. This will show up in a list-errors as an abnormal shutdown.
    • If D3 was started from a shell prompt with a d3 -0 command, then the services shutdown will not occur when your system is shut down or rebooted.

In such a scenario, if you want the D3 Services to automatically shut down in tandem with your system shut downs and reboots, then start D3 with the systemctl start d3_pick0 command.

Brian S. Cram
    Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Rocket Software

• 3.  RE: D3/Linux 10.3 Auto Start on Reboot

PARTNER
    Posted 10-22-2022 03:23
    Thanks Brian - guess I failed my Documentation Search 101 :)

Cheers
    Tom

Tom Power
    Owner
    Power Business Systems
    Benoni ZA