Uniface User Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Display a message when opening a component in the IDE

Posted 01-17-2023 04:19

Hello, 

I want to display a message in the Uniface IDE when I open a component, menu, libprc, etc.
    What do you think is the best solution?

I wanted to test this through the Worksheet Plug-Ins using the operations :
    > operation getVersion 
    > operation getWorksheetOptions

I get the worksheet initialization but I can't get the parent component. is-it possible at this time?
    I have to click on the worksheet tab to trigger the ws_activate which has the parent grid name as a parameter but it's not really user friendly.
    Is it possible to open the worksheet tab first, or to activate it programmaticaly?

Thanks 
    Maxime

------------------------------
    Maxime Chazalviel
    Rocket Forum Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Display a message when opening a component in the IDE

ROCKETEER
    Posted 01-17-2023 11:03
    Hello Maxime,

What exactly is the use case here? Why do you want to display a message when opening an Editor?

At this moment there is no IDE plugin operation available (as far as I am aware) that can do what you would like to do here. Sorry.

I hope this is, somehow, helpful.

Daniel Iseli
    Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Uniface Services
    Rocket Software, Switzerland

• 3.  RE: Display a message when opening a component in the IDE

Posted 01-18-2023 04:21

Hello, 

the goal is to work on local environments.

For this I want to test if the developer has the latest version when he opens the grid.

Do you know if it is possible to put a worksheet tab in the first position? So that it is the first one opened? 

Maxime Chazalviel

• 4.  RE: Display a message when opening a component in the IDE

Posted 01-18-2023 10:45
    Hi Maxime,

I would have thought UF checks the version of in UDICT - to ensure the IDE is at the same level as the DICT.
    If it wasn't, you'd have issues (potentially) with differences in the DICT layout...

You could implement a table / record where you manually store the version of UF used to compile.
    Then use $about to pull the runtime version....

Regards,
    Knut

Knut Dybendahl

• 5.  RE: Display a message when opening a component in the IDE

Posted 01-19-2023 04:21

The goal is to have separate development environments for each developer and a common environment where modifications are centralized.
    First of all I want to check that the developer has repatriated the code that is on the common environment.
    A table to know if the developer has repatriated the code has been created to save this information.
    But it is necessary for me to know if the action of repatriating the code has been done before the developer starts his developments so that he starts from the right version.

Maxime Chazalviel

• 6.  RE: Display a message when opening a component in the IDE
    Best Answer

ROCKETEER
    Posted 01-19-2023 05:50
    Not sure I completely understand this. Are the changes from the developer specific environments merged into the common environment? Or are these separate environments? And are you using a version control system (like e.g. Git). Not sure that I understand the purpose of the common environment.

Normally (roughly speaking) a developer would check out the sources from a central source repository (into his local development environment), makes his changes, and then these are then checked in again in a separate (e.g. bug or feature) branch. If everything is okay, then these changes are merged into the main branch. The sources then can be built and tested in a separate environment by checking out and compiling the main branch. For synchronizing the sources with the version control system you could use (e.g.) the Work Area Support Utility or create your own tool (which several customers already have done).

Coming back to your query: at this moment there is no IDE API or callback operation available that is executed at the start of an editor and will tell you the main UDO (development object) that is loaded. You could create a worksheet for the Project editor that does the checks you want to execute. You then just have to make sure that the objects that should be monitored are included in the project. A developer then could use the worksheet of the Project editor as starting point for his work. So instead of opening an object directly it then would be opened from the Project editor.

The current Uniface Roadmap mentions Solutions and Team support for the future. I currently do not know what this might include, but it is possible that it will provide some of the features you are currently looking for. I guess we have to wait and see.

I hope this helps.

Daniel Iseli
    Uniface Services

• 7.  RE: Display a message when opening a component in the IDE

Posted 01-19-2023 08:39

The idea of offering an opening via the tracking tool we create seems to me to be a very good idea.

I don't know how to do it yet, but the idea suits me!

Is it complicated to open programmatically the components normally opened via the menu: More Editors (menu, proc, etc.)?

Thx

Maxime Chazalviel

• 8.  RE: Display a message when opening a component in the IDE

Posted 01-19-2023 10:17
    I can use this function for components migrated to version 10 editors of Uniface (cpt, libinc, libprc, ent, etc.)
    IDE_API_1.navigateTo(pURL, forceRefresh)

But for menus it doesn't seem to work. 😥

Maxime Chazalviel

• 9.  RE: Display a message when opening a component in the IDE

ROCKETEER
    Posted 01-19-2023 11:58
    Indeed, this currently will only work with the Main IDE Editors (e.g. Project, Component, Entity, ...). Any editor that is listed under the menu "More Editors" is not compatible with the IDE API. Sorry.

There are plans to migrate all the Classic Editors (or More Editors) to new Uniface 10 IDE Editors, and once that is done the IDE API will work for all the editors. For details see the current Uniface Roadmap.

I hope this helps.

Daniel Iseli
    Uniface Services