Rocket OpenQM

View Only
  • 1.  OpenQM printing to Epson ET-M3170 GDI (Graphical Device Interface) printer.

Posted 03-22-2023 12:53

Hi group!

I have a client that replaced an HP with PCL language to an Epson ET-M3170 GDI (Graphical Device Interface)  printer. Now the new printer is cutting off the heading and truncation reports.  I do recall from many years ago that GDI printers are not recommended.  Fast forward a couple of decades and is that still the case?  Are there any new drivers that can emulate PCL commands to a GDI printer?     This is OpenQM on Windows. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Peter Gonzalez
    Programmer/Systems Analyst/EDI Developer
    Self Registered
    St. Louis MO US

• 2.  RE: OpenQM printing to Epson ET-M3170 GDI (Graphical Device Interface) printer.

ROCKETEER
    Posted 03-22-2023 13:18
    OpenQM supports GDI printers which can be selected by using the GDI parameter to SETPTR, however, PCL commands then will not be actioned correctly.

There is limited support for GDI features such as font selection but this affects the whole document, not just a chosen section.

I believe that there are third party products that will translate PCL commands into GDI equivalent actions but I cannot recommend any particular product as I have never used any of them.

Martin

• 3.  RE: OpenQM printing to Epson ET-M3170 GDI (Graphical Device Interface) printer.

ROCKETEER
    Posted 03-22-2023 13:19

Print Wizard from Anzio has a good PCL emulator and will render a PCL document on a GDI printer. There is a server version of Print Wizard. Not exactly sure how you redirect the output from QM printer to Print Wizard. I think Print Wizard monitors a specified directory for content to print.

Peter Schellenbach
    Rocket Internal - All Brands

• 4.  RE: OpenQM printing to Epson ET-M3170 GDI (Graphical Device Interface) printer.

Posted 03-22-2023 15:02

Thank you Peter S.

I did see that recommendation back in the google group. The Print Wizard option would require to modify all programs that print to add tag lines so Print Wizard would know how to treat the printer.   Maybe I can insert a subroutine prior to the program to control the printer setting.   All I'm looking for is printer orientation, pitch, lines per page and number of columns.     Thanks.

Peter G.

Peter Gonzalez
    Programmer/Systems Analyst/EDI Developer
    Self Registered
    St. Louis MO US