Rocket U2 | UniVerse & UniData

View Only

Can't print

Matt Stern's profile image
PARTNER Matt Stern posted 12-20-2020 08:12

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been previously asked answered, but I didn't see how to search for a topic.

"Server" is Windows 10 running Universe 11.

"Workstation" is Windows 10 running various apps and telnets into UniVerse. It has a printer on a USB port and is shared.

Server connects properly to the printer and successfully prints a test page. I've checked all the share permissions, and among many others, "everyone" has print and manage privileges.

Yet, when I do a SETPTR ,,,[etc] AT \\ENVYW10,HPLJ or AT \\10.1.253.60\HPLJ and try to print, I get 

Access is denied.

Program "BLOCK.PRINT": pc = 2A0, StartDocPrinter failed with error 5

I've tried the usual rebooting, etc,

On my old server I seem to recall an entry in the &DEVICE& file, but I am told this is not necessary. Also, the extensible admin utility won't allow the definition of a printer, only a tape drive.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Manu Fernandes's profile image
PARTNER Manu Fernandes

Hello

The best methods is to define the printer as a local one. Then uv spool to local windows spooler and windows spooler performs the routing of the job. 

A big advantage is when the workstation is not connecte, the uv printer works then when back on-line the jobs are printed.

I hope this help. 

Manu

PARTNER Matt Stern

HI Manu,

Not sure if I'm replying properly; there was an "ANSWER" button below my posting but nothing below yours.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this. I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with what you're saying.

Is it possible to give me an example of the steps to take?

Thank you again.

Michael Blanch's profile image
Michael Blanch

As Manu states, a Local printer. By that he means a LOCAL printer on the Server.

So the NAME of the Printer on the Server is all you really need. As long as the Server Print Queue Name is HPLJ then all you need is AT HPLJ which is on the Server. As long as the server printer queue sends jobs to shared PC Printer that should then be fine.

So If I open Telnet to the Universe Server, a SETPTR ,,,,[etc] AT HPLJ is all you need.

You do not need to share out the printer from the server, it uses the name of the printer HPLJ. You might like to identify it's name a bit better.

This has nothing to do with how the print queue is configured from the Server to connect to the Share for the USB Printer. That is done in the Server Operating System or in this case Windows 10.

PARTNER Manu Fernandes

hi,

In detail, 

- we talk about WS (windowsServer where uv run) and WW (windowsWorkstation where printer is attached. )

Universe want to talk to WS.spooler then on WS you must 'declare' the WW.printer as a remote printer, I use powershell to do it easily :

Add-Printer -ConnectionName  "\\workstation\sharename-of-printer"
in your case 
Add-Printer -ConnectionName  "\\ENVYW1\HPLJ" 

then under Uv, at TCL, if you type SPOOL -LIST , uv list/see the printer \\ENVYW10\HPLJ

then under Uv, you can use SETPTR ...AT "\\ENVYW10\HPLJ"

when uv prints, the WS.spooler get the job, then WS.spooler route it to WW.spooler which route it to the printer. 

then, if WW if not started nor WW.printer is not connected, you can spool from uv to WS.spooler witout crash.

Uv is used to spool at raw then if you get a error regarding add-printer and his driver , you can use a 'generic driver' c.f. add-printer options. 

I hoipe this help.

manu

PARTNER Matt Stern

Hi Michael and Manu,

Thanks for your latest info.

Maybe I'm describing things a bit wrong.

The workstation has the local printer on a USB port. On the server, I am able to map to it as a local printer, and Windows successfully prints the test page from the server.

What's a bit weird is that the server's Control Panel shows the printer name as HPLJ, yet when it's defined, I get this in the Add Printer dialogue box:

You've successfully added HPLJ on HP-ENVYW10

In control panel, printers and devices (server) it shows up as  hplj on 10.1.253.60

Yet, in printer properties, it shows up as hplj

Any suggestions? Thank you.

PARTNER Manu Fernandes

so,

if the printer is declared into the windows server (where uv run), 

use 'SPOOL -LIST' and check the name uv reports as Printer, sample 

>SPOOL -LIST                           

Printer: Microsoft XPS Document Writer 
no entries.                            

Printer: Microsoft Print to PDF        
no entries.                            
>                                      

in thise case, i use these name with AT option 

SETPTR .... AT "Microsoft Print to PDF"

manu

PARTNER Matt Stern

Thank you again for your help.

There seems to be some difficulty in naming the printer. When I add the printer, it automaitcally takes on the name (with spaces) as HPLJ on \\10.1.253.60 I can't manually change this, and I can't get UniVerse to see it, even if I quote the whole thing. Using HPLJ alone isn't sufficient, either.

I was able to get this to work ONLY by using the wireless port on the printer, mapping the server to the wireless network (through a router), and it would test print. However, UniVerse did not like it. I paused the printer and sure enough the UniVerse job spooled to it, but when I un-paused the printer the print job evaporated.

I later figured the driver had to be set to TEXT ONLY/GENERIC. Now everything works fine.

Thank you again for your time and help. Happy Holidays to all !