Rocket U2 | UniVerse & UniData

View Only

Executing a Unix command from BASIC gives different results

Jump to Best Answer
Jon Kristofferson's profile image
Jon Kristofferson posted 05-04-2022 12:23
All,

I recently had to start converting UTF-8 characters to ascii. I have a simple Unix /bin/sh script that does the conversion. It works fine from RHEL 6. When I run a BASIC program with EXECUTE \SH -c 'same command'\ The results are basically correct, but the UTF-8 characters are returned as '?'s.

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Script:
#!/bin/sh
temp=$(mktemp)
eval "$1 -o $temp"
cat $temp | iconv -c -f UTF-8 -t ascii//TRANSLIT
rm $temp

$1 is a curl command to access a web call. The iconv Unix command translates from UTF-8 to ascii. The temp variable is the name of a unique temp file. I create it, use it and remove it.

The execute in questions looks like EXECUTE \SH -c 'curl command'\

Curl works, the temp file contains the web call data with the UTF-8 characters in it. From Unix it works correctly, from UniVerse the translation is flawed.

Due to the API containing keys and such, I have not included them here, but they don't appears to have much to do with the problem.

Jon
Mike Rajkowski's profile image
ROCKETEER Mike Rajkowski Best Answer
I am not sure your original command is doing what you think it is doing.  Not all UTF-8 characters map to ascii characters.

Note that there are 1,112,064, and not all of them will map to ascii.

What characters are you having a issue with?
Neil Morris's profile image
ROCKETEER Neil Morris
Hi Jon,
I don't have a specific answer. Was wondering if you added a CAPTURING clause to the EXECUTE and a "set -x" in the shell script if it might highlight a difference between running the script directly at the shell prompt compared to an EXECUTE from a BASIC program? Just a thought.
Thanks,
Neil
Jon Kristofferson
Neil,

I was using a CAPTURING clause to get the return data from the web call. I added the set -x and they were again identical except for the UTF-8 characters in Unix were correct, from UniVerse TCL and EXECUTE with '?'s. The API call is going through, the results in the temp file have the UTF-8 characters. The issue is the output of the iconv command from Unix is correct, from TCL or EXECUTE they are '?'s.

Might it have something to do with character sets or environment variables LANG=en_US.UTF-8. LANG is set when I due SH at TCL (Unix) alone, but is not set with SH -c 'env'.

Jon
Neil Morris's profile image
ROCKETEER Neil Morris
Hi Jon,
Thanks for the clarification. One other quick thought to perhaps isolate where the difference exists. If you were to write the results of the 'iconv' option in the script to a file, would it produce different results when run directly from Unix compared to using "SH -c" in UniVerse? Just wondering if the translation done by iconv works differently when called from UniVerse or whether something happens related to capturing the output?
Thanks,
Neil
Tyrel Marak's profile image
PARTNER Tyrel Marak
Jon,

What about trying PTERM DISPLAY from UniVerse?  Does that give you any clues?

Doesn't UniVerse have its own terminfo file separate from Linux?  So basically the terminal you get coming out of UniVerse to the shell is potentially different from the terminal you get just going straight into the Linux shell.  I've seen problems like this, but I'm not the one that's fixed them, so I don't know all of the details, but I think there's a binary called uvtic you can use to sync them up.  I'm sure doing a search of the documentation (or opening a ticket) could lead you to the process.

I hope that one of those helps.

Tyrel
Tyrel Marak's profile image
PARTNER Tyrel Marak
But Mike, he's not asking about the effectiveness/appropriateness of the shell script.  If he goes directly into Linux and invokes that shell script he get a result that is working for him.  However, if he executes that same script by starting in UniVerse and shelling down, he gets a different result, and one that doesn't work for him.  Isn't that still an issue above and beyond the script itself?
Jon Kristofferson
All,

I had to go out of town for some personal business. The answer to the issue was the LANG environment variable was not set inside of UniVerse, but when I SH'ed out to Unix it was set to LANG=en_US.UTF-8. If we execute ENV LANG=en_US.UTF-8 from TCL the command works as expected. 

Thanks for all those who replied. Sorry for the late response.

Jon