Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only

Python from Rocket and Python from IBM

Rob Hamilton's profile image
Rob Hamilton posted 09-06-2021 15:48
I’m trying to get started. We have a Jenkins agent running in OMVS, maybe not properly, but...it’s a start.
i am looking at installing the Rocket OpenSource tools, but...if I want to run Ansible, for which ZOAU requires a later version of python, and seemingly requires the IBM-distributed version (3.9.x) and not the Rocket-distributed version (3.7.x?).

IF I start by installing the Python that comes with z/OS v2r5, which is the later version, does Conda recognize that it’s installed and not try to install a second version?

I think that’s all I need to know at the moment, but I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I go.

Thanks,
R;
Tatiana Balaburkina's profile image
ROCKETEER Tatiana Balaburkina
Hello,
At the moment Miniconda doesn't support use of a separately installed Python.
Rob Hamilton's profile image
Rob Hamilton
Will that change, or is it possible to a release that is common between Rocket and IBM, or even be able to make IBM one of the sources for Open Source tools for Conda to download? I can't see running two different versions of the same product unless I'm in the process of phasing out the older one.
Peter Fandel's profile image
Peter Fandel
We are working on interoperability between Miniconda and IBM's Python as a high priority work item but I can't give dates yet.  Stay tuned is best I can say at this point.