Rocket U2 | UniVerse & UniData

View Only

SQLFETCH not bringing back data

Jump to Best Answer
David Green's profile image
David Green posted 05-14-2021 17:24
I'm working with UniData 8.2.  I've written a utility that lets me view and treat an SQL table like it was a local UniData file with UniQuery type commands.

It's been working fine.  But I am having an issue with one ODBC connection that sends back the rows but not the data for the columns.

Has anyone seen this before?  Could it be some type of privilege setting?  I can get data back using an SQL manager tool using the same logon credentials.
SQLFetch doesn't bring back any error messages, just no data.

I am going from one domain to another, all within our intranet.

Thoughts?
Jonathan Smith's profile image
ROCKETEER Jonathan Smith Best Answer
David,

The SQL server DOES NOT have to reside on the same server as UniData, Can you point me to where in the documentation where it states that as it is incorrect. The early references in the EDA manual are below, and they DO NOT state they have to be on the same machine.

Page 15 States "The external database server can be on the same machine as the U2 server or on a different machine. However, the external database client must be on the same machine where the U2 server is installed."

Page 16 States "The U2 server can reside on UNIX, Linux, or Windows. After the SQL server, Oracle, or DB2 database server is installed, the appropriate ODBC driver must be installed on the U2 server machine"
Bill Brutzman's profile image
Bill Brutzman
I was recently aghast and crestfallen when I learned that Adobe ColdFusion 2021 dropped support of ODBC _ indicating something like how ODBC has been dead for 20 years.   
My tears have dried.  Going forward _ everything now is JSON, REST, GraphQL, etc.
ROCKETEER Jonathan Smith
UniData does have EDA , External Database Access, where the UniData files are stored in SQL Server not in UniData but the files can be used as though they were normal UniData files inside of UniData. I'm guessing you are using BCI programs in some shape or form to do this. I know EDA is a chargeable add on, so other than avoiding the cost of the EDA add on I'd be interested to know why you are doing this instead of using EDA and being able to treat the file exactly as if it where a UniData file.
David Green

I just checked and we do have EDA, I’ve just never used it before. Can you point me in the right direction for which UniData manual will cover EDA for beginners?  An EDA for Dummies? LOL

ROCKETEER Jonathan Smith
We don't really have an EDA for dummies, there is External Database Access (EDA) manual in the 8.2.2 documentation set, the full set is downloadable from https://www.rocketsoftware.com/products/rocket-u2/documentation , follow the 8.2.3 link from the front page and then drill down to 8.2.2 and select the EDA manual.

I have attached it to this message for you, but thought I'd give you the reference in case you wanted updated manuals for other subjects as well.

In terms of giving a bit more assistance on getting up to speed with it then if you happen to know who your Rocket Account Manager is I can drop them a note and see what we can get arranged for you.
David Green
The EDA documentation states that the SQL server must reside on the same server as UniData.  This isn't going to be much help after all.
Bill Brutzman's profile image
Bill Brutzman
With UniVerse _ the Rocket BDT (Eclipse) editor has useful tools to help with massaging U2 SQL.
Paul Chang's profile image
ROCKETEER Paul Chang
David,
Are you using BCI to connect to SQL Server on Windows UniData 8.2 server? You might test the SQL statement outside UniData Server first. Please create a System DSN  to connect to SQL Server first. You can use the UniData CONNECT command to test the SQL statement against SQL Server.
Paul