Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only

7Zip support?

Andy Styles's profile image
Andy Styles posted 01-12-2021 11:05
Hi all, 

We have a internal project proposal that wants to extract 7Zip formatted archives directly on the mainframe. I thought I'd seen somewhere that gzip might support that, but I can't now find any reference to it, so I'm beginning to think I dreamt it. 

Anyone know if gzip does support 7Zip, and if it doesn't, know of anything that does support it natively under z/OS?

Many thanks, 

Andy.
Tatiana Balaburkina's profile image
ROCKETEER Tatiana Balaburkina
Hello Andy,
7zip is a file archiver, supporting many formats. Rocket provides several archiving and compression/decompression tools, which support some of 7zip formats.
These tools are: zip/unzip, bzip2, gzip.
Data, archived by 7zip in a .zip file, can be unarchived on z/OS with unzip.
Files, compressed by 7zip in .bz2 and .gz formats, can be decompressed on z/OS with bzip2 and gzip.
z/OS to non-z/OS direction also works.
M. Ray Mullins's profile image
ROCKETEER M. Ray Mullins
If you are speaking about the 7z format, at this time I believe the answer is no; I have found or heard nothing from either inside or outside of Rocket.

If ZIP, then @Tatiana Balaburkina's ​answer is correct. There's also the InfoZIP package which is also open source. InfoZip was the first port of a ZIP utility to many non-distributed systems, including then-OS/390 and VMS. I would be careful with some of the 7zip options for maximum compression and directory word sizes; I don't know how unzip, gzip, etc., handles outlier settings.