Uniface User Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Is it possible to use a File DSN as ODBC Data Source for the MS SQL Connector

Posted 06-02-2021 14:41

Setting up a connection to an MS SQL Server instance using an ODBC Data Source defined as User DSN or System DSN works fine. But in an environment with dozens of server environments and hundreds if not thousands of clients, User DSNs and System DSNs are hard to manage and distribute.

File DSNs could be a solution to that problem, they are easy to manage and distribute, but ... I can't seem to get the Uniface MS SQL Connector to connect to an MS SQL Server using a File DSN. The Internet is full of examples of how to create a File DSN, but I couldn't find any example showing how to use a File DSN in e.g. Excel either.

Anybody having success with File DSN's for the Uniface MS SQL connection? If so: what does the MSS path definition in your .asn file look like?

• 2.  RE: Is it possible to use a File DSN as ODBC Data Source for the MS SQL Connector

ROCKETEER
    Posted 06-03-2021 07:30

To use a file datasource, add the prefix "FILEDSN=" to the datasource name.
    In that case, the name can be either an unqualified datasource name (in
    which case it will be loaded from the default ODBC datasource
    directory), or a fully qualified filename. If you use a fully qualified
    filename, it can NOT contain a colon (:) because that is used as the
    separator between the datasource and database names. Should you need to
    specify a fully-qualified filename, use the UNC format to avoid the
    colon. In all cases, the ".dsn" suffix is optional and can be omitted.

Examples:

; Remote file datasource
    $def mss:FILEDSN=\\sharename\folder\mydsn:mydatabase|dbuser|?

; Local datasource in c:\data - use UNC format
    $def mss:FILEDSN=\\sharename\c$\data\mydsn:mydatabse|dbuser|?

; This one does not work (two colons)
    $def mss:FILEDSN=c:\data\mydsn:mydatabse|dbuser|?

Example content mydsn file
    [ODBC]
    DRIVER=ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server
    UID=worktodo
    TrustServerCertificate=No
    WSID=MYMACHINE
    APP=Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Trusted_Connection=No
    SERVER=MYMACHINE\SQLEXPRESS2019
    Description=Fildedsn using ODBC 17

Hope this helps

• 3.  RE: Is it possible to use a File DSN as ODBC Data Source for the MS SQL Connector

Posted 06-03-2021 08:57

Peter, thanks a zillion!

I wonder how I could have discovered this syntax, but it works fine for me. 
    I recommend to add this to the MS SQL Server Connector documentation, as well as the generic ODBC connector and other ODBC based connectors.

• 4.  RE: Is it possible to use a File DSN as ODBC Data Source for the MS SQL Connector

ROCKETEER
    Posted 06-03-2021 09:20

Henk I will check why this is not documented.

• 5.  RE: Is it possible to use a File DSN as ODBC Data Source for the MS SQL Connector

PARTNER
    Posted 06-29-2021 12:48

Very nice, it would have been very nice to know this struggling for years with distributing the odbc-source to the clients (registery).

However, I suppose that the odbc client dll-files have to be available on the client pc?