Uniface User Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Compilation of Uniface code

Posted 01-13-2022 12:49
    Hi, 

We are trying to compile a Uniface application by installing it on a Cloud build Agent (i.e. build machine in the cloud). We have been successful in doing so, however,  when the actual compilation process begins it tries to fetch files into a database server. We have the enterprise version of Uniface so the database is hosted on-premise in a SQL server. The connection between cloud and the SQL server database is causing significant latency in the file import process thereby lengthening the build time.

I wanted to know, why does Uniface need to have a database connection to perform a compilation?  I believe the database is used as a code repository to store the code temporarily during the compilation process. But is there a way to perform the compilation without connection to the database?

Uniface version 10.3

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Vaibhav Kolhe
    Manager
    Accenture Limited Liability Partnership
    Mumbai IN

• 2.  RE: Compilation of Uniface code

Posted 01-13-2022 15:10

Hi Vaibhav,

Uniface can be configured and used in many different configurations however the default installation is using an (R)DBMS, in your context SQL Server, to save sources of all developed objects. At compile time the IDE needs to read those sources from database to generate the executable version of each object; it should be obvious at this point that in your default installation/configuration there is no way to compile without accessing the database.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
    Gianni

Gianni Sandigliano
    IT

• 3.  RE: Compilation of Uniface code

Posted 01-14-2022 00:38
    Thanks Gianni - what are the other ways other than default configuration?  I may have some liberty in configuring it differently.  Could you point me to the documentation or provide details in this thread?

Vaibhav Kolhe
    Manager
    Accenture Limited Liability Partnership
    Mumbai IN

• 4.  RE: Compilation of Uniface code

Posted 01-14-2022 02:33
    Edited by Gianni Sandigliano 01-14-2022 02:36

Hi Vaibhav,

Yes, Uniface Development configuration could be adapted to various needs using various software components but it's a too wide argument to be fully discussed here in a forum thread without fully knowing your requirements.

I suppose you are conceptually mapping the word "repository" exclusively to a central source container managed from software like git, cvs, svn, scm, continuum or many others, while Uniface is using in all cases its own repository in one of its supported (R)DBMS. This Uniface repository could act as central repository OR stage/temporary repository depending from the global config.

You could search into this community site about "uniface version control" to get hints about other possible configs.

Regards,
    Gianni

Gianni Sandigliano
    IT

• 5.  RE: Compilation of Uniface code

Posted 01-27-2022 03:42

BTW:

You can also use a flat-file "database" by using the "TXT" driver.
    But this is still a UnifAce repository

And of cource there are the user defined database-drivers "UDn"
    With these you can program your own "databank system"
    The vendor "Marche Hare" has for example a driver UD6 that works with text files

Ingo Stiller
    Aareon Deutschland GmbH