Rocket U2 | UniVerse & UniData

View Only
  • 1.  UV 11.2.5 / RHEL 7 : Phantoms suddenly running with 'NICE' of 2

PARTNER
    Posted 05-06-2021 03:15
    We have a strange situation occurring where a phantom process (launched using the UV PHANTOM command) somehow have their linux 'nice' value set to 2. This results in the processes running at a slightly higher (less important) priority of 22.

We have no linux scripts that are triggering this, and the command launched does not 'renice' itself so are at a loss to explain how this is happening.

Is there anything within UV that will result in a phantom process having it's 'NICE' value adjusted to reduce the PID's impact?
    Is anyone aware of anything within RHEL that could also lead to a process being automatically reniced this way?

------------------------------
    Gregor Scott
    Software Architect
    Pentana Solutions
    Mount Waverley VIC Australia

• 2.  RE: UV 11.2.5 / RHEL 7 : Phantoms suddenly running with 'NICE' of 2

ROCKETEER
    Posted 05-06-2021 03:35
    Both Universe and UniData automatically change the nice value of a phantom when it's spawned. As Phantoms are viewed as background processing they are given a lower priority.

Thanks
    Jonathan Smith
    UniData  ATS and Principal Engineer 

Sent from Samsung Mobile on Three
    Get Outlook for Android

================================
    Rocket Software, Inc. and subsidiaries ■ 77 Fourth Avenue, Waltham MA 02451 ■ Main Office Toll Free Number: +1 855.577.4323
    Contact Customer Support: https://my.rocketsoftware.com/RocketCommunity/RCEmailSupport
    Unsubscribe from Marketing Messages/Manage Your Subscription Preferences - http://www.rocketsoftware.com/manage-your-email-preferences
    Privacy Policy - http://www.rocketsoftware.com/company/legal/privacy-policy
    ================================

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.

• 3.  RE: UV 11.2.5 / RHEL 7 : Phantoms suddenly running with 'NICE' of 2

PARTNER
    Posted 05-07-2021 00:32
    That is interesting, as it contradicts our experience  with phantoms on UV.
    Until now, we have never had a phantom process automatically change it's priority.
    Even now, it is only some of our phantoms that his happens to.

Gregor Scott

• 4.  RE: UV 11.2.5 / RHEL 7 : Phantoms suddenly running with 'NICE' of 2

ROCKETEER
    Posted 05-07-2021 04:18
    Hi Gregor,

I will double check this for you as it has always been our understanding internally that phantoms are reniced to a lower priority when they are launched.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Smith

• 5.  RE: UV 11.2.5 / RHEL 7 : Phantoms suddenly running with 'NICE' of 2

ROCKETEER
    Posted 05-07-2021 04:39
    Hi Gregor,

I've done some checking and testing on our internal systems for both UV and UD and it would appear that the nice values for phantoms are not changed when a phantom is spawned. I will look into this further in the next few weeks as it has been a widely held belief internally that the nice values were changed when a phantom was spawned and will correct any internal misunderstandings based on those findings.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Smith

• 6.  RE: UV 11.2.5 / RHEL 7 : Phantoms suddenly running with 'NICE' of 2

ROCKETEER
    Posted 05-07-2021 05:23
    Gregor,

Check if this behaves differently depending upon whether UniVerse is started from systemctl or manually using uv -admin -start at a command prompt. There does seem to be difference in the way that Linux services set the relative priority of child processes launched from systemctl - I think it is called a 'process group'. From an initial review it looks like all processes started from the same process leader (i.e. a 'process group') might share the same resource allocation.

This would be an interesting topic to prove or disprove. If proven then I understand that the systemctl behavior can be modified in Linux.

Regards
    JJ

John Jenkins
    Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Rocket Software Limited
    U.K.

• 7.  RE: UV 11.2.5 / RHEL 7 : Phantoms suddenly running with 'NICE' of 2

PARTNER
    Posted 06-06-2021 20:37
    Just following up on this discussion in case anyone has been watching it.

We tracked down the root cause to application coding which had been attempting to adjust the Linux PID's "nice" value but got it's logic wrong.

So it was nothing to do with UV automatically adjusting the PID priority, and all to do with "Oh yea, we coded that - it's broken".

Gregor Scott
    Software Architect
    Pentana Solutions