Rocket U2 | UniVerse & UniData

View Only
  • 1.  Who's going to the MV Madness Finals? Winners Announced.

ROCKETEER
    Posted 04-01-2021 21:15
    Thanks to everyone who played in the qualifying round of MV Madness. With over 100 entrants you exceeded our expectations for interest in the event! 

So with that, 23 players are moving into the finals. No one got 100% of the answers correct, but finalists scored between 95% and 75%, which are very fine scores indeed.

Members going through to the finals, who've already earned a pair of Rocket pajama pants, are @Henry Unger, @Derek Hayse, @Rajesh Menon, @Fausto Paredes, @Frank Hanshaw, @Tyrel Marak, @Brian Egan, @craig curtis, @Gregor Scott, @Mike Raffaele, @Ross Reichardt, @Stuart Boydell, @Todd zzHess, @Alan Campbell, @Bob Ruiz, @David Knight, @Chris Turner, @Nic Davidson, @Alberto Leal, @Brian Paige, @Chris Wolcz, @Nik Kesic, and @Tom Power. Be sure to congratulate these experts when you see them on the Forum; they might just be able to help you with something.    ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Good luck to all those in the final round, and thanks to everyone for your participation. We look forward to welcoming you to a similar challenge next March. Feel free to shoot me a note or comment below regarding any other types of competitions (or information) you'd like to see on the Forum.

------------------------------
    Dave Andrews
    Head of Customer Engagement
    Rocket Software

• 2.  RE: Who's going to the MV Madness Finals? Winners Announced.

Posted 04-05-2021 19:56
    HI Dave,
    Will there be a link to the finals contest at some point?

Alan

A C
    Director of Support and Special Projects
    Campana Systems

• 3.  RE: Who's going to the MV Madness Finals? Winners Announced.

ROCKETEER
    Posted 04-05-2021 20:19
    Edited by David Andrews 04-05-2021 20:20
    Alan,

The quiz link was sent to your work email on Friday last week. It was sent via Survey Monkey but it should have mentioned me somewhere. Do check your junk folder, other email, etc.  

A reminder is also going out tomorrow.

Do let me know if anyone cannot locate their link to the finals.

Dave

Dave Andrews
    Rocket Software

• 4.  RE: Who's going to the MV Madness Finals? Winners Announced.

Posted 04-07-2021 14:01
    Hey Dave,

While this was a fun tournament to be apart of (cannot wait for the final scores!) I would love to see more coding/programmatic knowledge questions. Also, what are the chances of some forum badges for participants, semi-finalists and winners? Gotta use those bragging rights somehow!

Nic Davidson
    Combined Transport

• 5.  RE: Who's going to the MV Madness Finals? Winners Announced.

ROCKETEER
    Posted 04-07-2021 14:09
    Slightly ahead of you Nic: Just posted the answers and yes I have badges! It's a manual effort to apply them but we'll have them up soon.

When you say more coding/programmatic knowledge, can you expand on that? Are you thinking about more quizzes to challenge people, or are their areas of the product you're looking for guidance/tips in using? What areas?

Best, Dave

Dave Andrews
    Rocket Software

• 6.  RE: Who's going to the MV Madness Finals? Winners Announced.

Posted 04-07-2021 14:52

Those badges look awesome!!

Personally I am a Python guy, and I am less than comfortable in BASIC, but learning lots. UV adding Python is really what gave me the ability to get into multivalue.
    Because of this, I feel like I got a lot more value out of the questions that were asking about the encryption wallets, and "Here is a LIST command, why isn't it returning results?", "How do you fix this configuration issue?" than I did from the more product focused ones. I have no idea how many Rocket University sessions were ran, but I did really enjoy stretching the Google-Fu muscles about the history of Rocket and MV in general (including my Hail Mary guess on who "DM" was in SBXA) :). Of course, I would have loved to see more Python focused questions because that's my personal strength and I REALLY like winning.

Another suggestion if I may make it would be community based coding challenges, Code Wars is one of my favorite places to stretch the coding muscles as an example. The cool thing about Code Wars is that you can make a solution and then see what other people have done and discuss better, more efficient and modular ways to solve a problem. For a community like this, what might be more effective than a Code Wars style would be:

- A problem is proposed by Forum admins
    - Community takes a week or so to try their hand at solutions, submitting when complete
    - you can only see other's answers once yours is submitted
    - At the end community and Admins vote/judge solutions to find a winner.
    - for more complex problems, you could also judge based on overall efficiency of the code.

Overall though, the entire experience was a fun one, and I cannot wait to strut around the office in my Rocket pajama pants!

Nic Davidson
    Combined Transport

• 7.  RE: Who's going to the MV Madness Finals? Winners Announced.

ROCKETEER
    Posted 05-06-2021 17:47
    Our team has been talking internally about your idea Nic - Code Wars. It's definitely something we're exploring, and thinking about whether it would be Python specific, broader (we supply the problem, you solve it however and with whatever tools you like), or something else.

What do members think about this idea? How would you structure it? How interested are you in participating?

Dave Andrews
    Rocket Software

• 8.  RE: Who's going to the MV Madness Finals? Winners Announced.

Posted 05-07-2021 12:01
    Thanks Dave!

Good to hear you and the team are into the idea! Happy to help get it started in any way I can.

Nic Davidson
    Developer
    Combined Transport
    OR United States