Rocket DevOps (formerly Aldon)

View Only
  • 1.  VS Code and Rocket DevOps for LMi / LMe ???

ROCKETEER
    Posted 04-15-2022 19:33
    Posting some comments from a customer in hopes of starting a conversation.

VS Code has been available now for some time and there are some powerful Extensions (plugins) that have become popular for development on IBMi.
    One of the popular Extension we're using internally is 'Code for IBM i'.  While reviewing current conversations (e.g. Ryver, other Open Source for I resources...) we've seen some users exploring this as an alternative to Rational / RDi and use of Plugins for Eclipse (currently supported for both LMe and LMi).

I've used the Code for i Extension locally for some dev work while using its emulator for direct LMi actions (Checkout, Create, Checkin, Task association - 5250j required on the i). Also like the nifty PASE connection option for work in the shell environment.

Below is an excerpt from an email from a customer case discussing some of the efforts made recently.

Curious to see if anyone else in the LMi, LMe or LegaSuite/MX world is using VS Code for IBM i development for native or PASE environment work and what they'd like to see us include in an Extension VS Code for LMi / LMe or Rocket DevOps Portal?

Best, 
    d

~~
    I have been progressing down the road of modifying my environment in VS Code using the Code for IBM i extensions.  These are great extensions.  They lack the ability (currently) to list an LM(i) item in its multiple environments.  So what I end up doing is to create a filter for each environment. 

I have added a few LM(i) commands as Actions.

WBUILD is an adaptation of BUILD from Scott Klement that has an understanding of LM(I) and will run the LM(i) create command if asked and the item is in LM(i).  

The others are the commands as seen in QGPL (not the PDM versions but maybe they should be (?)).  

The cool thing about the Code for IBM i extension for actions is the ability to provide user prompts for input.  

Code for IBM i extension has connection profiles which I am going to play with to see how it might help out developing in different releases. 

What I am missing at this time is a simple way to build filtering based on object lists from a LM(i) task project.  

This might be simpler if there was a command interface to generate a list of objects on a task, even if that list is only on a SPLF. 

Also, I would like to have a command that allows me to cancel the check out in DVP.

Thanks, Matt

------------------------------
    Dale
    L3 Support for the enterprise bits, portals and plugins...
    Rocket|Aldon
    Somewhere on the Oregon coast...

• 2.  RE: VS Code and Rocket DevOps for LMi / LMe ???

Posted 06-06-2022 11:06
    Our organization has been on RDi for many years, but I've been evaluating VSCODE and Liam's Allen's Code for IBM i extension for the last year or so.  While RDi is more robust in many ways there are some things it handles quite well, and are worth mentioning. 
    • Some people may prefer it to RDi just because its light weight and runs fast. 
    • Compiling from IFS is set up out of the box and just works.  Seems hit or miss when I attempt to compile certain types of programs in RDi from the IFS.
    • More integrated with other open source technologies and languages - linting is a feature I like quite a bit.
    The major missing feature of Code for IBM i in VSCODE is that there is no integrated debugger.

Its good to know that some integration with LMi can be achieved with custom commands though.

John Weirich
    Software Architect for IBM i
    Nelnet
    Jacksonville TX US

• 3.  RE: VS Code and Rocket DevOps for LMi / LMe ???

ROCKETEER
    Posted 06-06-2022 11:41
    John, 
    Thanks for weighing in.
    I'll be forwarding your comments for our lab to include in their efforts.
    Best, 
    d

Dale
    Rocket|Aldon

• 4.  RE: VS Code and Rocket DevOps for LMi / LMe ???

ROCKETEER
    Posted 12-08-2022 10:29
    Edited by Dale Asher 12-08-2022 10:43
    John, 
    Thanks again for your previous comments on this topic.
    Rocket has an internal 'hack a thon' of sorts every year.  There's a little bit more about it on our website here: Rocket Build.
    This year our lab was focusing one of their projects on fast-tracking more functionality for LMi via VS Code. 
    Watch the Forum for updates on functionality and an opportunity for pre-release download for us to get some feedback.
    I think there will be a more formal invitation to preview it coming to some selected users shortly.  I was thinking that this is something you might be interested in participating in.
    Here are some screenshots from my first look...
    Best, 
    d
    ~~
    Workbench layout, filters, editor and terminal:
    VS Code workbench with RDOi filters for release and tasks, terminal and code editors
    Task options:
    VS Code workbench with RDOi plugin, Filter and Task options
    LMi/RDOi  create & promote job output in workbench:
    RDO Action Output (e.g. wrksplf, server job output from ACMSCREATE & ACMSPROMOT)

Dale
    Rocket|Aldon

• 5.  RE: VS Code and Rocket DevOps for LMi / LMe ???

ROCKETEER
    Posted 01-19-2023 17:55
    Please see the recent update below from our Product Manager regarding the beta release 10.0.1 for our new Rocket DevOps extension for VS Code for RDOi v10.2.0.

Please reach out if you have any interest in reviewing the initial release.  We'd love to get your feedback!
    Best, 
    d
    ~~

We're pleased to announce the beta release of our Visual Studio Code Extension for RDOi. It's ready to download and we're looking for customers who'd like to try this new integration. It takes only a few minutes to install, and we've made it super easy to use.

If you're interested in trying this preview release, please email me and I'll provide all the details you need to get started.

As usual, I'd love to hear what you like and what you don't like about Rocket DevOps, your success stories, and your suggestions for improving our products.

I wish you a happy and healthy 2023.

Chris White

Principal Product Manager

Rocket Software

cwhite@rocketsoftware.com

Dale
    Rocket DevOps (formerly Aldon)