Rocket Modern Experience (formerly LegaSuite)

View Only

Tricky Tips - Plugin options for RDi, LegaSuite/MX and Eclipse-based IDEs... Part I

• 1.  Tricky Tips - Plugin options for RDi, LegaSuite/MX and Eclipse-based IDEs... Part I

ROCKETEER
    Posted 11-18-2021 18:22
    After reviewing a few recent posts regarding our Plugin for Eclipse and Rational, it seems that there are a few useful 'setup' things that we might bring in to the light.
    While our shipped Help does contain decent info on what we are capable of (Help > Help Contents > 'Rocket Aldon Lifecycle Manager Eclipse Plug-ins User Guide'), I do think we could use more FAQ or 'How-to' type stuff to make it more useful and shorten the learning curve.
    To that end, over the next several weeks, will be exposing a few tips for the Eclipse plugin for Lifecycle Manager that might help you in your daily tasks.
    Starting with...
    Connection options - Good for LMe (also used in LSWB / MX with LMe Plugin):
    1 -
    I usually use and recommend the option to display IDE Project names for the connection by Group for Add to Workspace (especially if you have many/hundreds of IDE Projects!).

2-
    A quick note that the LMe 'server' in the definition should match the configuration in aldcs.conf for LMe client (default is LMeServer, but can be any matching value- e.g. MyLPAR=mylpar.my.fqdn/<Affiniti_Dispatcher_port).
    NOTE -
    Port is defined on the host in service table entries.  If you didn't get this setup info from a colleague, can review the default entry on the host with: 
    WRKSRVTBLE
    ~~
    Service                                  Port  Protocol
    Affiniti_Dispatcher                      7890  tcp     ​

3 - Host emulation 'trick' for use with LegaSuite/MX workbenches
    The modernization workbench doesn't have 'real' emulator option for the host connection like RDi.  However, here is a sooper handy tip below from Rene in our LSQB/MX Lab to setup an emulator in LS / MX Workbenches WITHOUT use of Rocket TE plugin or Rational Developer for i (requires LSWB 8.5+ with Host Picture Builder project types).

a) Define a Host Picture Builder project in any 'Explorer' view.
    Right-Click > New Project > Other

Click on 'Next'.

b)  Give it a name (can use the Server Name for the project: e.g. MyLPAR_Emulator) and Click Finish.

c) Open in the Picture Builder Perspective.

d) Update the project setting Properties. 

- Provide the hostname and credentials in the project settings.

- May also modify the ccsid, if needed (500 should work or 37 for English).

- Save the changes.

To open the emulator, right-click on the project and select Open 5250 emulator

Pssst... 
    There is no additional license required for the workbench to use this hidden feature.

More to come...

I hope you find these to be useful...
    Looking forward to questions or your own tips.

d

------------------------------
    Dale
    L3 Support for the enterprise bits, portals and plugins...
    Rocket|Aldon
    Somewhere on the Oregon coast...
    ------------------------------