General Discussion & Announcements

View Only
  • 1.  Are you Slacking yet?

ROCKETEER
    Posted 07-27-2021 07:28
    Edited by David Andrews 07-27-2021 07:27
    Is your organization using Slack? 
    It seems to be dominating the 'business-social-media'  sector, but there are other tools like Microsoft Teams.
    We have been using Slack for 1 year now and I find it invaluable but with some caveats.
    First one being, if you are sending out information to large groups, how do you know people are reading it? I constantly worry about that - but I realise that you have the same jeopardy if you send out a group email. They are ways to track in Outlook but it's not pretty.
    I think the problem could be solved if 'professionals' were not so reticent with using the power of emoji's. I definitely used to regard the use of emoji's as juvenile and not-business-like. But in the last year I have done a 180 on that. They are an essential tool for fast & effective communication.
    These are some I now use: 👀 = I've read it, 👍🏼 = I get it/approve/thanks  ✅ = done it, 👏🏼= well done/great work
    (FYI: If you press the Windows key + period in any MS Windows 10 system it will show you the emoji's picker)
    How do you use your company social-media business tool?

• 2.  RE: Are you Slacking yet?

PARTNER
    Posted 07-27-2021 10:39
    We have been using Slack in a 100 person three location company for over 7 years. It has been a great tool.  It really helped us transition to all remote working during Covid.

One thing that still causes issues, is knowing when to pick up a phone.  Our users get into trouble when they think team members are constantly monitoring Slack. Someone will post a message and assume it will be acted on immediately.

We have channels dedicated to communications between our organizations and trusted third parties.  People within those organizations are set as guest members of our Slack workspace.  They can post in their channel and it keeps communications on shared projects flowing.

We also allow anyone to create a channel, so temporary channels come and go.  These are also not restricted to work related topics, so March Madness, Super Bowl, etc, channels will spring up for a while. But this allows team members  to colaborrate on a project, then archive the channel when not needed.

Setting up your personal notifications and muting certain channels is critical in preventing someone from being over whelmed.

Mike

------------------------------
    Michael Polak
    VP Software Development
    DDI Systems Inc
    Sandy Hook CT United States
    ------------------------------