Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only
  • 1.  Issue on installing Python 2.7.13 and Python 3.6.1 for z/OS

Posted 09-11-2018 06:06

Hello,

When I was installing Python 2.7.13 and Python 3.6.1 for z/OS, I hit the same issue. Below I take the error for Python 3.6.1as example.

1. Ran python36/bin/install_all_packages, the error is as follpwing.
      BASH_PREFIX is /bin
      PERL_PREFIX is /usr/bin
      PKGS_BASE is /u/mvsbuild/py361z/pkgs
      installing from /u/mvsbuild/py361z/pkgs into /u/mvsbuild/py361z/python36
      /u/mvsbuild/py361z/pkgs/.install
      installing 0 files from /u/mvsbuild/py361z/pkgs/.install to /u/mvsbuild/py361z/python36
      pax: ▒▒>/▒▒?▒/Ŏ▒▒>▒>▒▒/%^/%^▒/▒,/▒▒ˎ▒▒>▒>▒▒/%^▒/▒,/▒▒▒▒>▒>▒▒/%^▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒^▒/▒▒/▒▒ˎ▒▒>▒>▒>▒▒/%^▒/▒,/▒▒▒>▒▒▒▒/%?▒/ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒/▒▒?▒/▒^▒>▒?Ď▒>▒▒▒▒▒>▒?▒▒^▒▒/>▒/▒▒^▒▒▒▒Ď▒>▒▒▒▒▒>▒?▒▒^▒▒/>▒/▒▒^▒▒▒▒ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒>▒^▒▒>▒▒▒?>▒ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒/▒▒▒▒ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒▒/▒^▒/▒▒▒▒▒Ď▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒▒/▒^▒/▒▒▒▒▒ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒/>▒▒▒Ď▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒_/▒▒?▒▒Ď▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒_/▒▒?▒▒ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^:?▒Ď▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^:?▒ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒_/▒▒?▒▒ǎ: EDC5129I No such file or directory. .: /u/mvsbuild/py361z/python36/bin/install_package 27: install_setup_edit_variables: not found /u/mvsbuild/py361z/pkgs/.install installing 0 files from /u/mvsbuild/py361z/pkgs/.install to /u/mvsbuild/py361z/python36 pax: ▒▒>/▒▒?▒/Ŏ▒▒>▒>▒▒/%^/%^▒/▒,/▒▒ˎ▒▒>▒>▒▒/%^▒/▒,/▒▒▒▒>▒>▒▒/%^▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒^▒/▒▒/▒▒ˎ▒▒>▒>▒>▒▒/%^▒/▒,/▒▒▒>▒▒▒▒/%?▒/ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒/▒▒?▒/▒^▒>▒?Ď▒>▒▒▒▒▒>▒?▒▒^▒▒/>▒/▒▒^▒▒▒▒Ď▒>▒▒▒▒▒>▒?▒▒^▒▒/>▒/▒▒^▒▒▒▒ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒>▒^▒▒>▒▒▒?>▒ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒/▒▒▒▒ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒▒/▒^▒/▒▒▒▒▒Ď▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒▒/▒^▒/▒▒▒▒▒ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒/>▒▒▒Ď▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒_/▒▒?▒▒Ď▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒_/▒▒?▒▒ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^:?▒Ď▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^:?▒ǎ▒>▒▒▒▒▒▒_/▒▒?▒▒ǎ: EDC5129I No such file or directory.
      .: /u/mvsbuild/py361z/python36/bin/install_package 27: install_setup_edit_variables: not found

2. I attempted to read info/files, but it was unreadable
      cat info/files ▒▒>/▒▒?▒/Ŏ▒▒>▒>▒▒/%%^/%%^▒/▒,/▒▒ˎ▒▒>▒>▒▒/%%^▒/▒,/▒▒▒▒>▒>▒▒/%%^▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒^▒/▒▒/▒%▒ˎ▒▒>▒>▒>▒▒/%%^▒/▒,/▒▒▒>▒%▒▒▒/%%?▒/ǎ▒>▒%▒▒▒/▒▒?▒/▒^▒>▒?Ď▒>▒%▒▒▒▒>▒?▒▒^▒▒/>▒/▒▒^▒▒%▒▒Ď▒>▒%▒▒▒▒>▒?▒▒^▒▒/>▒/▒▒^▒▒%▒▒ǎ▒>▒%▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒`>▒^▒▒>▒▒▒?>▒ǎ▒>▒%▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒/▒▒▒▒ǎ▒>▒%▒▒▒%▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒▒/▒^▒/▒▒▒▒▒Ď▒>▒%▒▒▒%▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒▒/▒^▒/▒▒▒▒▒ǎ▒>▒%▒▒▒%▒▒▒▒^▒▒/>▒▒▒Ď▒>▒%▒▒▒%▒▒▒▒^▒▒_/▒▒?▒▒Ď▒>▒%▒▒▒%▒▒▒▒^▒▒_/▒▒?▒▒ǎ▒>▒%▒▒▒%▒▒▒▒^:?▒Ď▒>▒%▒▒▒%▒▒▒▒^:?▒ǎ▒>▒%▒▒▒▒▒_/▒▒?▒▒ǎ

3. Then I found it was with codeset 819
      $ cat -W filecodeset=819 info/files
      bin/autotag
      bin/install_all_packages
      bin/install_package
      bin/install_setup_edit_variables
      bin/uninstall_package
      include/alloca.h
      include/autotag_info.c
      include/encode_standard_files.c
      include/encode_standard_files.h
      include/gcc_sync_functions.h
      include/httpuv_RequestHeaders.h
      include/libuv_pthread_barrier.c
      include/libuv_pthread_barrier.h
      include/libuv_scandir.c
      include/libuv_semaphore.c
      include/libuv_semaphore.h
      include/libuv_zos.c
      include/libuv_zos.h
      include/semaphore.h

4. I attempted to change the codeset to 1047
      iconv -f 819 -t 1047 files > files.my ls -l
      total 32
      -rw-r–r-- 1 BPXROOT DEFLT1 0 Apr 12 2017 edit_files
      -rw-r–r-- 1 BPXROOT DEFLT1 477 Apr 12 2017 files
      -rw-r–r-- 1 BPXROOT DEFLT1 477 Sep 7 06:43 files.my
      cp files files.bak mv files.my files

5. Reran python36/bin/install_all_packages, the first error was fixed. However, seems that the same problem existed in all the packages.

BASH_PREFIX is /bin
    PERL_PREFIX is /usr/bin
    PKGS_BASE is /u/mvsbuild/py361z/pkgs
    installing from /u/mvsbuild/py361z/pkgs into /u/mvsbuild/py361z/python36
    /u/mvsbuild/py361z/pkgs/.install
    installing 19 files from /u/mvsbuild/py361z/pkgs/.install to /u/mvsbuild/py361z/python36
    changing ‘/opt/anaconda1anaconda2anaconda3’ to ‘/u/mvsbuild/py361z/python36’
    installing 19 files from /u/mvsbuild/py361z/pkgs/.install to /u/mvsbuild/py361z/python36
    changing ‘/opt/anaconda1anaconda2anaconda3’ to ‘/u/mvsbuild/py361z/python36’
    installing 0 files from /u/mvsbuild/py361z/pkgs/autoconf-2.69-1 to /u/mvsbuild/py361z/python36
    pax: ▒▒>/▒▒?▒?>Î▒▒>/▒▒?▒▒/▒▒ʎ▒▒>/▒▒?_▒▒▒▒▒>/▒▒?▒▒▒?>Î▒▒>/▒▒?▒▒/>▒▒▒>/▒▒?▒▒▒/▒▒▒▒>▒▒>/_▒ˎ▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒_▒Î▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒▒/▒▒▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒▒/>_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒▒▒▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒▒▒/▒▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒▒▒/>▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒▒?▒▒▒/>_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒▒▒>▒▒▒?>▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒▒▒>▒▒/_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒▒?_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒▒▒/▒▒▒▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/>▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒▒▒▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒?▒>/_▒▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒▒▒?▒▒/_▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒▒▒/▒▒▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒?>▒▒`▒▒▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?_▒▒▒▒▒Ŏ▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒▒/>/▒▒?▒▒/>▒▒Ȏ▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒▒▒▒/▒▒?▒▒▒▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒▒▒▒/▒▒?▒▒▒▒_▒Î▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒▒▒▒▒▒>▒▒/_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒/▒▒?▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒_▒▒▒▒/▒▒/▒▒?▒?>▒_▒▒▒▒/▒: EDC5129I No such file or directory.

I do not think it is good way to change the codeset one by one. Would you please help check if you could/need update the installation package? Or could you please give me some suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Linda

• 2.  RE: Issue on installing Python 2.7.13 and Python 3.6.1 for z/OS

Posted 09-13-2018 05:56

Hi Linda,

Thanks for using our tools. Encoding problems are typical if some variables were not set. Please, check the output of command “env|sort”. It should include:

_CEE_RUNOPTS=“FILETAG(AUTOCVT,AUTOTAG) POSIX(ON)”
    _BPXK_AUTOCVT=ON
    _TAG_REDIR_ERR=txt
    _TAG_REDIR_IN=txt
    _TAG_REDIR_OUT=txt

Also there is very detailed instructions in file README.ZOS. This file is available in the archive and also you are able to download it separately from Customer portal.