Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only
  • 1.  Licenses, Terms & Conditions

Posted 09-08-2016 10:37

Each z/OS Open Source Language and Tool comes with some manner of open source license. Most, but not all, are licensed under GPL, the GNU General Public License. The license document for each distribution can be found in this location:

share/doc/<toolName>/

If you need to read the license for a particular language or tool without downloading and unpacking it, then you must go to the public community pages for that language or tool. The license document included with our distributions is (by law) identical to the license you will find in the public pages.

Rocket adds the following additional terms and conditions in the following README file which can be found at the root level of the distribution.

Rocket Ported Tools for z/OS ("Program")
    ==============================================================================

See more detailed information in directory

share/doc/<toolName>/

NOTICES AND INFORMATION

To the extent that a Rocket ported tool is subject to the GNU General Public 
    License (GPL) or other open source license that requires source code 
    distribution, Rocket provides human-readable source code available for 
    download from the Rocket Software Community Portal.

• 2.  RE: Licenses, Terms & Conditions

PARTNER
    Posted 10-07-2021 13:57
    Hello, I have several questions about possible redistribution of specific ported z/OS tools-- curl and OpenSSL.  After downloading and installing these, I think I have found the licenses for these two, but would like Rocket to confirm if these are correct. I would also like to ask if Rocket adds any additional licenses on top of these, as the above post seems to suggest. The above post is a bit dated so I wanted to check if that has changed. Does all software under Rocket Open-Source Languages and Tools for z/OS still fall under a GPL license?

From the download of OpenSSL and following some links, it appears that this/these licenses apply: "dual OpenSSL and SSLeay license". Can you confirm this?

From the download of curl, and again following some links, it appears that this license applies: "MIT license". Can you confirm this?

Thank you very much in advance!

------------------------------
    Gary McAfee
    Senior Software Engineer
    IBM Global Services
    RTP NC United States

• 3.  RE: Licenses, Terms & Conditions

ROCKETEER
    Posted 10-13-2021 08:25
    Hello Gary,

Rocket does not modify or extend licenses of packages that it ports to z/OS.

You're right that OpenSSL is covered by the dual OpenSSL and SSLeay license; this is documented both on OpenSSL site and in the source code repository. Please note that different versions of OpenSSL use different licenses - our current version is 1.1.1, and all versions below 3.0 use that dual license. That's why the link to GitHub above points to the 1.1.1k revision of the license file.

For curl, the license is not strictly the MIT license. Their site explains that it's inspired by MIT/X, but is not identical. You might find it useful to look at the corresponding FAQ section, too.

Regards,
    Vladimir

Vladimir Ein
    Rocket Internal - All Brands