Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only
  • 1.  Editing z/OS source code off z/OS in Eclipse

Posted 10-13-2016 10:10

Born and raised on open systems and wanting to edit z/OS source code in Eclipse?

Check out the Eclipse’s ‘Remote System Explorer’ plugin to read and edit remote files on my local
    machine. Works well for all file types except you have to explicitly specify the encoding type
    to: IBM 1047, during the remote machine configuration, within Eclipse.

• 2.  RE: Editing z/OS source code off z/OS in Eclipse

Posted 10-13-2016 12:59

I seem to be having some difficulty hooking this up. What connection type are you using (e.g. FTP, SSH, Telnet)? I have been able to get connected using FTP, but listing MVS datasets does not seem to work for me. Also, where did you specify the IBM 1047 encoding? I have not been able to track that down.

• 3.  RE: Editing z/OS source code off z/OS in Eclipse

ROCKETEER
    Posted 10-14-2016 09:00

Connection Type should be “SHH Only”. Once the connection is established to a specific server, edit the connection properties by right clicking on the connection name and select “Host” and you should see the “Default Encoding” selection. Make sure you specific IBM-1047 as the default. Let us know if this helps.

• 4.  RE: Editing z/OS source code off z/OS in Eclipse

ROCKETEER
    Posted 10-14-2016 09:13

After establishing a SSH connection, although you will be able to open files from the remote file system, a file may not be readable depending upon the file type. ( Example: .c files ). To resolve this, while the file is open navigate to Eclipse’s main menu: File -> Properties -> Text File Encoding and change the default to Other: IBM-1047 and apply.

• 5.  RE: Editing z/OS source code off z/OS in Eclipse

Posted 10-18-2016 14:00

I was successful in connecting, but was only able to get easy access to USS files. Access to z/OS native datasets was problematic.

There is an ‘IBM Explorer for z/OS’ Eclipse plugin at

http://public.dhe.ibm.com/ibmdl/export/pub/software/htp/zos/tools/aqua/

that provides some additional tools such as a simpler interface to MVS datasets and the JES queue. There is a server side component that can be installed on z/OS, but I was able to get quite a lot using a basic FTP connection.