Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only
  • 1.  Python z/OS installation

Posted 01-31-2019 14:24

Hello,
    I’ve downloaded the Python files. I’m unsure what my next steps are.
    Do I upload these files into my USS file system someplace?
    I’m guessing that I have to create an aggregate to hold the files, not installed into root.
    How do I make the install, changes.zos and readme.zos files readable and formatted?

I see in other questions that I might want to download ‘other’ software. Is the complete list of the apps I need documented someplace?

• 2.  RE: Python z/OS installation

Posted 02-01-2019 08:07

Hi Duncan,
    Yes, you have to transfer the python archive into USS using ftp/sftp protocol.
    Int the same place with Python binaries you can find files install and README.ZOS, they describe installation process. These files comprises ASCII symbols, so you should not process to make them readable.

You can find the list of prerequisites in the file README.ZOS. In your case, Python requires bash 4.3 and perl 5.24.
    –Tatiana

• 3.  RE: Python z/OS installation

Posted 02-01-2019 10:13

Thanks Tatyana,
    I guess that I didn’t really ask my questions well…
    In all of the other installations I’ve done the installation instructions will be 'more detailed. Fro example the first line in the Install tells me to:
    mkdir /rsusr/ported/python-2.7.13-anaconda-2017-04-12
    This is not a ‘standard’ directory for z/OS installs or even where the IBM ported tools live. If I were blindly create this directory the data would end up in the Root Aggregate. Not a good thing.
    If I were to compare SSH, a IBM ported tool, the SSH program lives in /bin, the sample programs and data live in /samples and the ‘control files’ live in /usr/lpp and usr/lib.
    All of these have aggregates, VSAM cluster, to hold the data and are ‘standard’ places for z/OS.
    Also in most z/OS systems / is read only to prevent something writing into the root aggregate, VSAM cluster. As a z/OS systems programmer I do have the ability to make my root file R/W but adding directories could cause issues down the road when I try to put on z/OS fixes.

• 4.  RE: Python z/OS installation

Posted 02-05-2019 17:40

Hi Duncan,
    /rsusr/ported folder is just an example. You can unpack ported tools in any preferable folder and set up correct environment variables.