Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only
  • 1.  Where, exactly, to download Gzip?

Posted 04-06-2020 16:33

I’ve been around the barn several times. Searching takes me to a download page with “featured downloads”, but no Gunzip.

• 2.  RE: Where, exactly, to download Gzip?

Posted 04-07-2020 04:04
    1. Sign in to the Rocket Community Portal.
      https://my.rocketsoftware.com/RocketCommunity
    2. Click Downloads from the navigation menu. A list of available Rocket products for your account appears.
    3. Select z/OpenSource .
    4. Type ‘Gzip’ in the search box to filter the list of available downloads. Gunzip is part of Gzip distribution.

• 3.  RE: Where, exactly, to download Gzip?

Posted 10-24-2022 11:23
    Edited by David Andrews 10-24-2022 12:48
    Hi Tatiana, 

I am able to install miniconda on my z/OS. I am looking for gzip and curl to install. From where can I download gzip and curl separately ? Due to air gapped systems I want to download both separately and install on different curl_env and gzip_env. 

Under the Download > Open Appdev for Z > I can see "Rocket Open AppDev for z (free solutions)" and "Source code distribution". Under source code distribution I can see gzip and curl on  .zip format which I can't install on z/OS. 

------------------------------
    Raju Shrestha

• 4.  RE: Where, exactly, to download Gzip?

Posted 10-25-2022 08:06
    Hi Raju,

Without a paid support contract, your only option for downloading our z/OS ports is to get them from our public conda channel server hosted by anaconda.org.  The URL is indicated in the documentation.  For an air-gapped system you would need to install to a system that is not air-gapped and then manually copy the installs over to the target air gapped systems.  It is possible to download the compressed versions of each port from the anaconda.org conda channel server to a PC and then unpack them and install on z/OS but it is undocumented and I am not sure how that works.

If you get on paid support we have two different options available specifically designed to support air-gapped systems - one using a conda on-premise file channel set up by our installer, and also SMP/E support.

Also note that without paid support you will not be using the latest binaries with the latest security fixes.  The binaries on the public server are up to six months old.

Best regards,
    -Peter

Peter Fandel
    Sr. Director, Product Management
    Rocket Software

• 5.  RE: Where, exactly, to download Gzip?

Posted 10-25-2022 08:24
    Edited by Raju Shrestha 10-25-2022 08:27
    Hi Peter, 

Thank you for the information. 

What are the dependencies for the curl and gzip? I would like to download curl and gzip saperately with all dependencies.

Raju Shrestha

• 6.  RE: Where, exactly, to download Gzip?

Posted 10-25-2022 09:28
    Note, if you use the conda command to download, conda will automatically download dependencies.  So if you use conda commands you never need to worry about dependencies.  If you want to download the compressed files manually and install manually then yes you would need to know dependency information.

gzip does not requires any other packages.
    curl requires openssl, libtag and zlib (by recursive dependency analysis)

Peter Fandel
    Sr. Director, Product Management
    Rocket Software