Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only
  • 1.  Screen or tmux

Posted 09-29-2021 08:07
    Hello,

Is there any plans on porting screen or tmux to USS? It's something I miss when working on USS.

Otherwise I saw somewhere that rocket uses gcc to compile (cross-compile?) tools to Z. Is z supported by gcc out of the box, either cross compiling or running in USS?, or is there a fork somewhere, or is it something rocket made in house? I would like to try to compile it myself.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Adam Martin Britt
    IT-Architect
    BEC
    Randers SV Denmark

• 2.  RE: Screen or tmux

Posted 09-29-2021 16:31
    Hi Adam,

Rocket uses a special version if GCC we ported to z/OS to essentially cross-compile some open source tools to run on z/OS.  However it should be considered more of a porting tool Rocket uses internally, not a fully functional port of GCC, and we do not provide GCC in executable form outside of Rocket.  We do provide the sources to our modified GCC as required by the license but it would be considerable work for someone to figure out how to build and use it.

At this time we have no plans to port screen or tmux to z/OS.  We do accept new port requests however generally only to meet the needs of our customers on paid support contracts.  If BEC is on paid support, please reach out to me at pfandel@rocketsoftware.com to discuss.

Best regards,
    -Peter

Peter Fandel
    Dir. SW Eng
    Rocket Internal - All Brands
    Waltham MA United States