Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only
  • 1.  NotWriteableError in install of miniconda V1.2 (1/10/2020) on z/OS USS

Posted 11-03-2020 06:56
    I am trying to install miniconda to allow me to obtain git and other open-source tools and have downloaded and downloaded and transferred miniconda onto my z/OS system (V2.4) and run the miniconda install. (miniconda-zos-1.2-2020-10-01.run and appdev_bundle_1.0)

This gives the following NotWritableError to a file / sub-directory within my user home directory during the install.

I do not believe I should be changing the permissions as suggested - the userid I ran the install under has the appropriate permissions / authority and is in SYS1 group.

Re-running the install gives the same error as it looks like ".conda" directory is created as part of the install.
    Although the base conda install seems complete it would appear the install process has not finished
    Can you please tell me what I need to change to successfully complete the install of miniconda

------------------------------
    Clive Harriss
    IBM UK

• 2.  RE: NotWriteableError in install of miniconda V1.2 (1/10/2020) on z/OS USS

Posted 11-03-2020 08:46
    Hi Clive,
    Thank you for using Rocket ported tools. This is not a z/OS-specific error. Could you check if this page helps to fix the issue? If you need our further assistance, please, provide exact command which you used to run Miniconda installer and output of command "env | sort".

Tatiana Balaburkina
    Rocket Software

• 3.  RE: NotWriteableError in install of miniconda V1.2 (1/10/2020) on z/OS USS

Posted 11-04-2020 08:07
    Hello
    I overcame the NotWriteableError - I tracked the problem down to the filesystem running out of space and the /.conda/pkgs/urls.txt file and the pkgs directory had not been created / were not present.

My problem has now 'moved on' to being unable to create a new environment with conda failing to reach https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/r/noarch/repodata.json.bz2

Clive Harriss
    IBM UK

• 4.  RE: NotWriteableError in install of miniconda V1.2 (1/10/2020) on z/OS USS

Posted 11-04-2020 11:21
    Hi Clive,
    Do you mind to share details of the new issue?

Tatiana Balaburkina
    Rocket Software

• 5.  RE: NotWriteableError in install of miniconda V1.2 (1/10/2020) on z/OS USS

Posted 11-04-2020 12:58
    Edited by Clive Harriss 11-05-2020 03:15
    Hi Tatiana

I have resolved the problem .

I am using a zD&T emulator system and the resolution of the ip address to the web address for https://anaconda.org was failing which required an update the /etc/resolv.conf file to add I entries for (in my case) google - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and then when I issued a dig https;//anaconda.org it resolved to the 2 ip addresses starting 104.xx.xx.xx.

Before when I issued conda create --name xxxx for a new environment it failed unable to resolve the web address - once the dns resolution problem had been overcome it worked.

I then issued conda  install -c zoss-appdev python ( this pulled in openssl and certifi)

followed by conda install -c zoss-appdev git (this also pulled in curl, expat and perl)

which both worked.

I had previously added the rocket repo zoss-appdev to my conda channel list defined in my home directory not the root directory for the conda install.

So my aim was to install git from the rocket zos-open source tools  - which now looks in place - so that I can finish my install of the IBM Unified Management Server.

the only thing I forgot to do prior to adding python and git was to create and activate a new conda env so as a result they have gone into my anaconda base - but for me that doesn't matter.

Kind regards,

Clive Harriss MBCS
    IBM Certified Solutions Expert-Db2 for z/OS

• 6.  RE: NotWriteableError in install of miniconda V1.2 (1/10/2020) on z/OS USS

Posted 11-05-2020 07:31
    Hi Clive,
    Just a note, if you install additional packages to base environment, they will be removed when you update Miniconda and you will have to re-install them again.

Tatiana Balaburkina
    Rocket Software