MVVS: MV Basic for Visual Studio

View Only
  • 1.  Browse server files?

Posted 04-21-2021 06:20
    • Connect to U2 MultiValue server and cache cataloged programs to local machine when necessary

How do you do this?  All I've been able to do it copy an account from our dev server to my local machine, and then Open Folder on that account folder. I can connect to the dev server successfully, but don't seem to be able to interact with it? How do you interact with BP files from the server?

Does someone have a guide I can follow for this?

------------------------------
    Matthew Wright
    Tomago Aluminium

• 2.  RE: Browse server files?

ROCKETEER
    Posted 04-22-2021 07:51
    Matthew,

If you could fill in a little more detail on the context I will see if I can assist.

John Jenkins
    Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Rocket Software Limited
    U.K.

• 3.  RE: Browse server files?

Posted 04-22-2021 19:02
    Thanks John - how do I achieve this? 

• Connect to U2 MultiValue server and cache cataloged programs to local machine when necessary
    I've installed the Rocket MV BASIC VS Code extension. 
    1. First I activate the extension

2.Now I want to connect to our U2 MultiValue server

3. Open an account workspace? How does one do that - I assume that means I need to open a folder containing U2 account files?
    I've copied one of these account folders from our U2 MultiValue server.

4. That works, but it's an OFFLINE copy of the files that I made myself. Try connecting to the server again... and success.

I had previously edited my db.mvbasic.json file, I'm trying to work with the EVDEV account:

So I'm connected - but now what? How do I "Connect to U2 MultiValue server and cache cataloged programs to local machine when necessary"

I've got this, but this is just the local copy that I created:

Matthew Wright
    Tomago Aluminium

• 4.  RE: Browse server files?

ROCKETEER
    Posted 04-22-2021 23:54
    Hi, Matthew

Thanks for using our MV BASIC Extension, let me give you more details about how to working with our extension and what is catalog cache used for.

To working with Rocket MV BASIC Extension, you need:
    1. Copy the BASIC source code or whole U2 ACCOUNT to the local machine as path1
    2. Install MV BASIC Extension in VS Code and open this path1 with "Open Folder" option.
    3. Activated "Rocket MV BASIC" Extension.
    4. Config db.mvbasic.json file if you like to connect to the server.
    5. Open a BASIC source code file, specify code language for this source code.

You already figured out step 1~4 and for the step5, there are couple ways to achieve that:
    1. Change the BASIC source code file name with an ".b" or ".B" suffix, such as "ABC.B"/"ABC.b"
    2. Configure "File Associations" in the VS Code.
    3. Click "Plain Text" to specify the code language.

Then we back to your original question:

• How do you do this?  All I've been able to do it copy an account from our dev server to my local machine, and then Open Folder on that account folder. I can connect to the dev server successfully, but don't seem to be able to interact with it? How do you interact with BP files from the server?

We recommend user to copy the file/account to the local first, then open this local file copy in the VS code,  so you can not interact with your remote server file directly. VS code allow user to open a remote server, but currently we don't recommend user do this.

For the catalog cache, Rocket MV BASIC Extension need to use this for the file peek & go to definition feature.
    After you connected to the U2 server, when you are trying to open the definition for a cataloged BASIC file, then we need to interact with U2 server to get the latest catalog information and open the source file to display the source code. Like in below sample, I'm trying to use "Peek Definition" feature in FILE to see the cataloged source code FILE2.

below is our Rocket MV BASIC Extension usage link, kindly for you reference,  let me know if you have any other questions, thanks.

https://rocketsoftware.github.io/rocket-mvbasic/#usage

Charles Han
    Rocket Software

• 5.  RE: Browse server files?

Posted 04-23-2021 00:27
    Thanks for your response.

Matthew Wright
    Tomago Aluminium