Rocket iCluster

View Only
  • 1.  Changing iCluster Node IP Addresses

ROCKETEER
    Posted 10-19-2020 12:13
    Edited by Bill Shubin 10-19-2020 15:20

Once iCluster nodes are configured using a specific IP address, they will continue to use this IP address, however what if your network changes? How do you change the IP address used by iCluster? Luckily there is a TechNote on how to perform this procedure:

How do I change the IP Address of my node?

Answer:           

1. Stop all groups that use the node whose IP address is going to be changed by running the command

DMENDGRP—End Cluster Operations for Group

1. From an active Node (e.g. Node Alpha), run the DMCHGNODE command specifying the Node name and the new I.P. address for the Node whose I.P. address has been changed. The node you are changing (Node Beta) must be active when you run this command.

DMCHGNODE NODE(Beta) IPADDR('2.3.4.5')

Go to the other nodes in the cluster and view the node that was changed to see they reflect the new IP address before continuing.

1. From an active Node (e.g. Node Alpha), end the node (Node Beta) by running the command

DMENDNODE—End Cluster Operations at Node

1. Configure Node Beta's I.P. address, and configure your hardware, host table entries etc., as required in your environment.

Note:

The new address being assigned does not have to belong to the same subnet as the other Nodes in the cluster.
    Make sure that the new address being assigned is going to be I.P.- reachable from all the other Nodes in the cluster.

1. Refresh the XDMCLUSTER subsystem on Node Beta by ending and then starting it using the following commands:
    ENDSBS SBS(XDMCLUSTER) OPTION(*IMMED)
    After you end the SBS, go to NETSTAT *CNN and end all the connections for user DMCLUSTER before restarting the SBS.  Since the other nodes have remained active, I would only do that on the changed node.  After the node was ended, while the other node was active, the node that remained active is now the ‘Metadata Owner’.
    STRSBS SBSD(XDMCLUSTER)
    You must end the subsystem with the *IMMED option.

1. From an active Node (e.g. Node Alpha), start the node whose I.P. address was just changed (Node Beta) using the menu option

DMSTRNODE—Start Cluster Operations at Node

1. Go to the system that you prefer to be the Metadata Owner and run command
    DMSETMSTR
    to make this node the new ‘master or Metadata Owner.

1. Start all groups that use the node using the command

DMSTRGRP—Start Cluster Operations at Group

The cluster will now use the new IP address to connect to the node. You may now go back to the node whose IP address was changed (Node Beta) and disable or remove the old IP address.

Use the steps above for any other node whose I.P. address needs to be changed.

• 2.  RE: Changing iCluster Node IP Addresses

Posted 09-03-2023 20:35

Dear Bill

Does iCluster 9.1.0 in IBM i 7.4 support the use of a different IP address for another replication group in the same server/LPAR?  

In the pre-production IBM i server, I currently have iCluster doing replication (over a pair of IP addresses in DC+DR servers) for a set of libraries and IFS folders that belong to a test instance of the application. We intend to keep this test instance for a long time after going live.  In the near future, the production instance of the application will be installed in this same LPAR and for the reason of flexibility, we wonder if we can create a new pair of IP addresses in DC+DR server and use them for this new production replication group?  

If the answer if yes, I would apppreciate your insight on how to configure iCluster for this purpose. 

I thank you in advance for your response. 

------------------------------
    Satid Singkorapoom
    IBM i SME
    Rocket Forum Shared Account

• 3.  RE: Changing iCluster Node IP Addresses

ROCKETEER
    Posted 09-04-2023 02:31

iCluster can only set one IP address for one node (LPAR) , so it doesn't support to set different IP address to different group so far.

Jason Sun
    Rocket iCluster Development Team

• 4.  RE: Changing iCluster Node IP Addresses

Posted 09-04-2023 03:52

Dear Jason

Thanks for your reply based on which I decide to delete all group and node definitions and recreate them anew using the new IP address to prepare for the real production libraries. 

Satid Singkorapoom
    IBM i SME
    Rocket Forum Shared Account