General Discussion & Announcements

View Only
  • 1.  Creation of a shared installation folder(similar to Eclipse's p2 folder)

ROCKETEER
    Posted 02-19-2021 04:40
    Hi folks,

We are trying to create a shared repository/folder for our product's customers, something similar to Eclipse's p2 shared repository.

• Let's say user A is consuming some specific configurations from a repo. for his/her product installed on the machine.
    • Another user (unaware of any config. details) - a novice one, installs the same product on his machine. Now what we are planning to do is if we could provide some shared repository(having all the latest config files) to the user so that he/she could just use that repo, and should easily be able to install it on top of its product. And it should then have the same config. just like user A or any other user(s) for that matter.
    • Basically to create a centralized repo. which the users could access. Also, whenever the shared repo. gets updated with some new config. files/changes, ALL the users of that product should receive a notification that the repository has some new changes/updates, and they could fetch them from the shared repo.

If someone happens to come across this post and has some idea on how to progress with the above-mentioned requirements, would really appreciate it.
    Should you have any queries, please feel free to comment/email.

Regards,
    Ashish

------------------------------
    Ashish Ramtri
    Software Engineer - 1
    Rocket Software

• 2.  RE: Creation of a shared installation folder(similar to Eclipse's p2 folder)

Posted 04-28-2021 07:28
    I believe this is something we do using the Eclipse IDE linked directory structure hooked up with version control. Once you set up your repository on version control, you then can get notified of changes or update in Dictionaries, programs, procedures, paragraphs, and even data while using Eclipse. I guess since we have been doing this for over 16 years, I just don't think about the complexity anymore.

Regards,
    Doug

Doug Averch (Owner)
    U2logic, Inc.
    daverch@u2logic.com
    303-946-5226 (cell & text)