Rocket U2 | UniVerse & UniData

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

TRIGGERS

• 1.  TRIGGERS

Posted 05-16-2022 16:37
    Hi - as ive mentioned in previous threads, I just switched from unidata to universe.  A coworker mentioned a trigger but I do not see a version of my unidata commands:

CREATE-TRIGGER, LIST-TRIGGER, DELETE-TRIGGER

I do see the LIST.SICA command, which lists universe triggers on SQL files....do we not have triggers on regular PICK files in universe?

------------------------------
    Kathleen Hambrick
    Programmer at Colwell

• 2.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-16-2022 16:47
    Hi Kathleen!

In Universe, it's actually two words - CREATE TRIGGER.

Try HELP SQL CREATE for more info.

Brian

• 3.  RE: TRIGGERS

PARTNER
    Posted 05-16-2022 16:48
    Hi

Yes on UV, triggers are documented/part of SQL engine. 

look at HELP SQL CREATE TRIGGER / DROP TRIGGER. 

You can use it against standard non SQL  uv datafile. 

be carefull, if you change the subr after create trigger you must drop/create. 

Regards

Manu Fernandes

• 4.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-16-2022 17:37
    SO... cant find the catalog table - im used to CTLGTB.... if there a table of catalogued programs in universe?

Kathleen Hambrick
    Programmer at Colwell

• 5.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-16-2022 17:49
    The only example in the manuals i see is specific to an sql file. Trying this at tcl gives me an 'SQL+' prompt. Can someone show me the syntax to put a trigger on a non sql file please?

Kathleen Hambrick
    Programmer at Colwell

• 6.  RE: TRIGGERS

PARTNER
    Posted 05-17-2022 03:27
    Edited by Manu Fernandes 05-17-2022 03:27
      |   view attached
    hello kathleen,

yes, triggers are member of universe 'SQL engine'... you miss the semi-colon at then end of the phrase ... 
    CREATE TRIGGER TRIGGER1 AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE OR DELETE ON MYFILE FOR EACH ROW CALLING '*MYTRIGGER' ; ​

i'm used to create a VOC PARAGRAPH to set/update a trigger on a file 

first, basic/catalog globally 

BASIC BP TRIG.LOG.b
    CATALOGI BP *TRIG.LOG TRIG.LOG.b FORCE

next, define the paragraph

ED VOC SET.TRIG.LOG
    PA 
    DROP TRIGGER <<I2,filename>> TRIGLOG ;
    CREATE TRIGGER TRIGLOG AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE OR DELETE ON <<I2,filename>> FOR EACH ROW CALLING '*TRIG.LOG';

next, use on file 
    SET.TRIG.LOG MYFILE 

Manu Fernandes

Attachment(s)

txt
    TRIG.LOG.txt   1 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: TRIGGERS

PARTNER
    Posted 05-17-2022 03:30
    oops do not forget semin-colon at the end of DROP TRIGGER filename triggername ;

Manu Fernandes

• 8.  RE: TRIGGERS

PARTNER
    Posted 05-17-2022 03:57
    some notes : 

1/ Trigger must be dropped and created again. 
    Problem
    If trigger program is changed after creation, the trigger must be dropped and created again. This presents problems, for example, when a new release of application software is deployed. Typically, program libraries will be reloaded and recataloged. If trigger programs have changed, all files will need to be checked, triggers dropped and recreated.
    Cause
    The pointer to the trigger program object code resides in the SICA of the file header. 
    Solution
    Workaround: Make the trigger program a simple call to an external subroutine. The external subroutine may now be modified without affecting the trigger

2/ triggers execution are part of  an implicit  'TRANSACTION' processing
    2.1/ the TRANSACTION BEGin is started by the 'WRITE' verb of the parent execution.  Then all BEGIN TRANSACTION restriction occurs inside triggers.
    2.2 / you must get the lock (READU / RECORDLOCKU) before update another file 
    2.3/ you can't execute verb which require a new level. 
    2.4/ be carefull if the parent already have the lock of a record, the on-file record can be wrong value 
    2.5/ if the parent start a explicit BEGIN TRANSACTION, all locks set by the triggers are held by the session (as part of the parent TRANSACTION)  until TRANSACTION COMMIT/ROLLBACK ... 
    2.6/ if the parent use explicit BEGIN TRANSACTION and perform ROLLBACK triggers update are ROLLBACK'ed too, the only way to have the trace of the triggers call is via OPENSEQ/WRITESEQ which are not part of TRANSACTION processing.

3/ check trigger infinite loop
    sometime, you can create infinite loop, if triggers update file where triggers are fired.
    you can use the system(9001) to check if the trigger is in the parent call stack. 

4/ triggers must be created on 'closed file' 
    if  session-A have the file opened on  runtime filevariable/common and session-B CREATE TRIGGER on the file, the session-A does not known the trigger, session-A must reopen the file.  because, as for indices, triggers info/p-code are in the header of the file - loaded on the filevariable. 

I hope this help

Manu Fernandes

• 9.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-17-2022 10:58
    Do you mean the GLOBAL.CATDIR file ?
    This lives in the uv account and there may be called just catdir

Will Johnson
    Systems Analyst
    Rocket Forum Shared Account

• 10.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-17-2022 11:25
    Hi WIll - thanks for that bit of info. We have two catalog files on unidata CTLG for local catalogs, and ctlgtb for global catalogs.

I have been reading about the &MAP& file, and now I see the global.cat you've suggested. Are these two distinct? Or part of the same setup?

Thanks for your help!

Kathleen Hambrick
    Programmer at Colwell

• 11.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-17-2022 11:33
    IIRC the &MAP& file gives you certain statistics about the catalog entry
    But it is not the actual catalog *code*
    The code information is stored in the catdir (GLOBAL.CATDIR) file
    So I suppose it matters what exactly you are looking for

Generally when I am interested in this, I'm looking for answers like Is this subroutine globally catalogued?  If so, where is the actual underlying code located (for editing)?  That's what I'm looking for.

Will Johnson
    Systems Analyst
    Rocket Forum Shared Account

• 12.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-24-2022 20:32

You can actually use a "master" globally cataloged subroutine that calls other subroutines based on how you activate the trigger.
    We have about a dozen or so triggers on all sorts of files. Each file that has a trigger has it's own trigger subroutine. So for a customer file you might name this trigger "SR.CUSTOMER.FTRIG" (cataloged locally) which is called by "SR.MASTER.FTRIG" (cataloged globally).

We've found that you can actually re-compile these locally cataloged subroutines without having to drop/activate the trigger UNLESS your system is super busy AND the trigger is on a file that is being hit very hard, in which case you might end up having to bounce UniVerse. This may also be a feature of our old UV version too. I'm sure you'll find out soon enough - we did. Nowadays we arrange an outage to deploy trigger changes but thankfully this is not very often.

@Kathleen Hambrick: Ken Ford, my former colleague here wrote a really nice utility to control the trigger enable/disable each trigger for each of the insert/modify/delete and before/after conditions for all the files that we run triggers on. It has a nice -DROPALL option but sadly no -STARTALL. Ken has posted this code publicly in the past so it has to be out there if you search for his name and/or the "MASTER.FTRIG.CONTROL" program name.

Cheers,
    Peter

Peter Cheney
    Developer and Systems Superstar
    Firstmac
    Brisbane Qld Australia

• 13.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-24-2022 20:45
    Peter,
    What has been your experience using DEBUG or RAID on programs that write to files/tables having triggers?
    It was a problem a while back,  but I haven't tried it at UV11.
    tia,
    cds

Chuck Stevenson
    DBA / SW Developer
    Pomeroy
    San Ignacio BZ

• 14.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-24-2022 21:04
    Edited by Peter Cheney 05-24-2022 21:07
    Hi @Chuck Stevenson,

Debugging code that writes to files with triggers is a pain. We're on UV10.3.4 but have played with UV11.2 and it's still the same.
    Need to remember to always set a break point just beyond the write line. Sometimes I forget though haha.

Cheers,
    Peter

Peter Cheney
    Firstmac
    Brisbane Qld Australia

• 15.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 06-06-2022 14:46
    Anyone,

re. "Debugging code that writes to files with triggers is a pain. We're on UV10.3.4 but have played with UV11.2 and it's still the same."

With the advent of @IDX.IOTYPE, is there any advantage to using formal UV Triggers instead of an index (usually with NO.NULLS) subroutine instead, as discussed earlier in this thread?

Chuck Stevenson
    DBA / SW Developer
    Pomeroy
    US

• 16.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 06-06-2022 14:58
    Chuck,

I am by no means a trigger or an indexing expert, so while I have found this discussion extremely educational, some if the items went a little beyond by skill level. I apologize ahead of time if the answer to my question was already covered and I either missed it or just plain didn’t understand.

From what I can gather, a trigger-based program gets ‘fired’ when a file gets updated (or whatever condition is defined in the trigger), while an index-based program would get run when the index itself gets updated. What then happens when/if I have to clear the indices on a file and rebuild them? Won’t that rerun the program if it’s index-based and double-up on whatever that program was supposed to do?

Brian

• 17.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 06-08-2022 06:59
    For indexes the index-based program gets called whenever the record is updated.  It needs the subroutine's result to decide whether to update the index or not.
    For ADD it is called with the new version of the record & adds values to the index files accordingly.
    For DEL it is called with the old version of the record & deletes values from the index accordingly.
    For UPD it is called 2x,  once with the old, then with the new version of the record,  the results are compared to know if any index needs to be fixed.

@IDX.IOTYPE lets the subroutine know which kind of operation is it currently being asked to perform.  That helps us programmers trick it into acting like a trigger (say spawning another phantom, or sending escalation notices,  logging something, whatever)  instead of actually indexing.

One can envision performance problems,  but with modern hardware,  I have yet to hit that wall.​

Chuck Stevenson
    DBA / SW Developer
    Pomeroy
    US

• 18.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 06-07-2022 17:36
    Hi Chuck,
    Thanks for the @IDX.IOTYPE tip. Looking forward to upgrade day when we can start using it.
    Cheers,
    Peter
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: This email (inc all attachments) is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. Privileged or confidential information may be contained in this communication. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete all copies of this message from your computer network. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior permission. If you are the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic messages from us in future, then please respond to the sender to this effect. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but advise you to carry out your own virus checks on this email and its attachments. We do not accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses and do not represent that this transmission is free from viruses or other defects. Firstmac Limited (ABN 59 094 145 963) (AFSL 290600)

• 19.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 06-08-2022 16:12
    One last thing I meant to mention earlier:
    The primary record's write, and any index updates and any updates explicitly made by a trigger or index subroutine are all under on logical transaction.  They either all happen,  or none of them.

Chuck Stevenson
    DBA / SW Developer
    Pomeroy
    US

• 20.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-17-2022 08:39
    Kathleen,

We use them very sparingly but I've have good success using the methods defined on this post.
    https://www.intl-spectrum.com/Article/r310/Auditing_Database_Changes_with_UniVerse_Indexing_Subroutines

Harry

Harry Hambrick
    Senior Software Developer
    Rooms To Go Inc
    Seffner FL US

• 21.  RE: TRIGGERS

ROCKETEER
    Posted 05-17-2022 09:07
    Kathleen,

One difference that has not been mentioned in relation to triggers with UniVerse and UniData. When you use a trigger it will be treated as though it was part of a transaction. On UniData you will never have noticed this as UniData does not enforce isolation levels of a transaction, you have to code to an isolation level. In UniVerse isolation levels can be enforced and by default the UniVerse tuneable ISOMODE is set to 1, which enforces protection against UnCommitted Reads.

In short for someone coming from UniData to UniVerse and wanting to use Triggers (or transactions) then every record that you are going to update should have an exclusive lock set on it and if you are going to just read a record in a Trigger (or transaction) you should read the record with a shared lock (see READL).

Failure to follow these rules in UniVerse you may see an error stating that the locks are not set to the required level to perform an operation. As I said these rules are not enforced in UniData (but should be).

Thanks,

Jonathan Smith
    UniData ATS
    Rocket Support

• 22.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-17-2022 11:22
    thank you for that warning Jonathon, and to Manu, for pointing out distinctions between the trigger functions on universe and unidata - that is very helpful in avoiding the 'oh sh*t' moment when something acts differently than you expect :)

Kathleen Hambrick
    Programmer at Colwell

• 23.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-17-2022 11:28
    Thanks Jonathon, I will read up on the readl command.

Kathleen Hambrick
    Programmer at Colwell

• 24.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-17-2022 11:32
    this is helpful harry, I remember loving universe indexing 20 years back. thank you.

Kathleen Hambrick
    Programmer at Colwell

• 25.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-17-2022 10:17
    I have played with UV triggers in the pastand have ended up avoiding them.
    At first, iirc, they were slow.  I don't think that is a problem now,  but the RAID debugger doesn't play nicely with them the last time I checked.
    Does anyone know if that is still true?  (I've always found the debugger the buggiest part of most programming languages.)

When Prime Information first introduced indexing decades ago,  I was a beta site.   I recognized that, with a little work, one could effect a trigger by indexing NO.NULLS, letting your subroutine do whatever you need, then always returning null.  The tricky part was knowing if your subroutine were being called for an add, delete, or change.  (An index gets called once for an add, 2x for a change (evaluate the old version, then the new & see if it has changed), and 1x for a delete of the record being indexed.)   I suggested inventing an @-variable flag for that. Finally, at UV 11.x we have @IDX.IOTYPE so you can do that more easily.
    ​​
    I was going to write up how to do that, but earlier in this thread Harry Hambrick already pointed to a Spectrum by Clif Oliver:  www.intl-spectrum.com/Article/r310/Auditing_Database_Changes_with_UniVerse_Indexing_Subroutines.   Kudos, Clif.

Chuck Stevenson
    DBA / SW Developer
    Pomeroy
    San Ignacio BZ

• 26.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-17-2022 11:37
    thank you Chuck - I'm not hearing about most people here using actual triggers. I used them often in unidata but reflectively they were being used to log and trap issues so maybe the index resulting in a null to a file that has the no.nulls set is the equivalent here. 

Thank you all for that info!

Kathleen Hambrick
    Programmer at Colwell

• 27.  RE: TRIGGERS

ROCKETEER
    Posted 05-17-2022 12:59
      |   view attached
    Kathleen,

Here is our TOI document on Indexed Subroutines from when they were first introduced into UniVerse.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Smith
    UniData ATS
    Rocket Support

Attachment(s)

• 28.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-17-2022 13:17

Jonathon,

While we're on the subject & while I have your ear,  thank the team for @IDX.IOTYPE for me.

Warm regards,
    Chuck S

Chuck Stevenson
    DBA / SW Developer
    Pomeroy
    San Ignacio BZ

• 29.  RE: TRIGGERS

Posted 05-24-2022 20:35
    Edited by Peter Cheney 05-24-2022 20:35
    Hi @Kathleen Hambrick,
    If you haven't already found it, LIST.SICA filename will tell you some information
    LIST.SICA CUSTOMER 10:29:18am  25 May 2022   Page    1
    ==========================================
    Sica Region for Data File "CUSTOMER"
      Revision:        4
      Trigger "CUSTOMER.DELETE.FTRIG" is enabled, creator is "peter".
              calls "*FMC*SR.MASTER.FTRIG" for          Row After Delete
      Trigger "CUSTOMER.UPDATE.FTRIG" is enabled, creator is "peter".
              calls "*FMC*SR.MASTER.FTRIG" for          Row After Update
      Trigger "CUSTOMER.INSERT.FTRIG" is enabled, creator is "peter".
              calls "*FMC*SR.MASTER.FTRIG" for          Row After Insert
    >​

Peter Cheney
    Firstmac
    Brisbane Qld Australia