Rocket Terminal Emulator

View Only
  • 1.  3270 emulator 7.1: Problems with extended view 27X132

Posted 02-09-2021 08:40
    Hello all, 

We are having an issue with 27X132 extended view not working. It will work usually the first time after a user sets themselves up for it, but then it will revert to 24X80 view. 

I have tried to track down the problem. I see something that consistently looks incorrect when the 27X132 view reverts to 24X80. When I right click on the BlueZone icon and "edit with notepad", I see the following:

[Session]
    LU Name="LU002"
    TN3270 Delay=0x00000064
    Type Ahead=1
    Numeric Lock=0
    AssignLu=0
    Keep LU on Session Loss=0
    Custom Rows=54
    Custom Columns=132
    Custom Default Rows=24
    Custom Default Columns=80
    Alternate Usable Area=0

As you can see, Custom Rows=54 

Any idea why this keeps changing to 54? Is this the problem and what can be done about it?

------------------------------
    Michael Hlusak
    Quality Anaylist
    USPS

• 2.  RE: 3270 emulator 7.1: Problems with extended view 27X132
    Best Answer

ROCKETEER
    Posted 02-10-2021 10:05
    Hi Michael,

The Custom Rows setting is not normally used when configuring a session for Model 5(27x132). The easiest way is to do in the TN3270 Connection settings, by selecting Session-Configure-Properties button-Device tab, for example:

Note, when the Override 3270 Emulation Model Type checkbox is enabled(default), the TN3270 setting will also be used as the Screen Model Type in the Session-Configure-3270 Emulation dialog. This setting is used when replying to host system queries for device capabilities at run time.

Also, it is sometimes normal for the host operating system and application to switch back and forth from Model 2(24x80) and Model 5(27x132). For example, on TSO in ISPF this can be effected by the ISPF settings, try selecting 3. Max for the Screen Format under Terminal Characteristics.

Does this help?

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike Slater
    Rocket Software

• 3.  RE: 3270 emulator 7.1: Problems with extended view 27X132

Posted 02-11-2021 08:13
    Hello Mike, 

We have done the first step but I was previously unfamiliar with the ISPF step. 

We are giving it a shot, so far so good.  You are making about 40 people very happy as we have struggled with this issue for at least a year!

Gold star for you! :) Thanks a ton!

Michael

Michael Hlusak
    Quality Anaylist
    USPS

• 4.  RE: 3270 emulator 7.1: Problems with extended view 27X132

Posted 02-19-2021 08:26
    Hello Mike, 

Unfortunately this does not seem to solve this issue. I may have not been specific enough as I am an amateur at this stuff. The region that this problem is occurring in is CICS VIEWDIRECT.  

Any further ideas?

Thanks much!
    Michael

Michael Hlusak
    Quality Anaylist
    USPS

• 5.  RE: 3270 emulator 7.1: Problems with extended view 27X132

ROCKETEER
    Posted 02-19-2021 12:00
    Hi Michael,

Looking online I see this is a report management application on the mainframe. I would recommend to check its documentation to configure Model 5 support when viewing reports, and if needed contact the software vendor, which looks to currently be ASG Software Solutions.? I think this software has been bought and sold over the years, and rebranded as different names, INFOPAC, Mobius, but not sure.? If you google "CICS VIEWDIRECT" you can find info, I did see one link that talks about enabling alternate screen support:

https://support.asg.com/MOB/VMS/10_1/vzz_ig/step_4_4___enabling_cics_alternate_screen_support.htm

It mentions defining the terminal type in the CICS Terminal Control Table (TCT), but I'm not exactly sure what this is?

Please let us know if this helps, thanks.

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike Slater
    Rocket Software

• 6.  RE: 3270 emulator 7.1: Problems with extended view 27X132

ROCKETEER
    Posted 03-01-2021 03:32
    Hi Michael, 

24X80 is default screen size of model 2 ~ model 5. The size beside model name in Device Tab is alternate screen size. This could be the reason why the screen sometimes reverted to 24x80 in your case. It seems you need to set both default and alternate screen size to 27X132. So, below is another option you can try. 

1. go to Connection > Device tab, choose Dynamic and uncheck "Override 3270 Emulation Model Type"
    2. go to 3270 Emulation tab, choose Custom Size in Default Screen Model Type.
    3. type 27 as rows and 132 as columns for both Default and Alternate size

Does this help?

Thanks,
    Zhi

Zhi Li
    Rocket Software

• 7.  RE: 3270 emulator 7.1: Problems with extended view 27X132

Posted 04-08-2021 09:05
    Thank you very much! This was a problem for over a year and this worked! A++​

Michael Hlusak
    Quality Anaylist
    USPS

• 8.  RE: 3270 emulator 7.1: Problems with extended view 27X132

ROCKETEER
    Posted 04-08-2021 09:37
    That's great news Michael, thanks for sharing with us!  And, thanks Zhi for providing the solution!

Mike Slater
    Rocket Software