View Only
  • 1.  cURL version manifest confusion

Posted 01-19-2022 13:23
    The downloads for cURL include:
    appdev_manifest_1.3.txt
    appdev_manifest_1.2..1txt

but only
    miniconda-zos-1.2.1-2020-12-23.run

Shouldn't there be a miniconda-zos-1.3-yyyy-mm-dd.run ?

There also seem to be a bunch of older manifests--why?

And what is
    miniconda-py39-zos-2022-01-17.run ?

signed,
    Confused

------------------------------
    Phil Smith Iii
    Distinguished Technologist
    Micro Focus
    Herndon VA US

• 2.  RE: cURL version manifest confusion

Posted 01-20-2022 06:22
    Hi Phil,
    Thank you for questions.

>Shouldn't there be a miniconda-zos-1.3-yyyy-mm-dd.run ?
    No, miniconda-<..>.run is a conda (package manager) installer, while appdev_manifest_<..>.txt describes the actual portfolio of ported tools. We intend to have AppDev releases every quarter (new versions of the products, security fixes), once installer is updated only in case of major changes. Their versions may occasionally match though.

>There also seem to be a bunch of older manifests--why?
    The builds mentioned in the manifests are still available. So why they should be removed?

>miniconda-py39-zos-2022-01-17.run ?
    This is Miniconda installer based on IBM Python 3.9.5.1. As it was mentioned before on the forum, we were working on IBM Python integration into Rocket Open AppDev portfolio. This and other changes will be announced soon.

Tatiana Balaburkina
    Rocket Internal - All Brands

• 3.  RE: cURL version manifest confusion

Posted 01-20-2022 10:14
    Ummkay...but I don't see that explained anywhere. The installation instructions for miniconda don't explain it, nor do they mention the miniconda-py39-zos-2022-01-17.run thing. Point is, once I got to that page, the instructions didn't make it clear what I was to actually do, because of all the noise files.

Today when I went back to look at it, i got the download link (https://download.rocketsoftware.com/RLink/d/9C9CD54CCA6B40CAB00DEAED2E7EE515?__gda__=1729014452_89db61d80d5cc25db565acd37c2e2048) from the downloaded object in Firefox and visited that, which got me:
    An error occurred while processing your request.
    Reference #50.64392b17.1642691460.13ee40a

So I backed the URL off to
    https://download.rocketsoftware.com/
    which got me a login page. From which neither my Rocket login nor my community login worked. So I had to go back to Googling "rocket downloads" and going through that 27-page process to finally get back to the downloads. Seems...messy and untested.

Cheers,
    ...phsiii

Phil Smith Iii
    Micro Focus
    Herndon VA US

• 4.  RE: cURL version manifest confusion

ROCKETEER
    Posted 01-24-2022 01:29
    Hello Phil,

Do I understand it correctly that you tried to re-open the link from Firefox's 'Downloads' page, and it didn't work? If so, I'd like to point out that the actual download links are not supposed to be permanent locations, and can't be used that way. Also, it's not safe to assume that the download links are hosted on the same address as the web interface itself (i.e. the Rocket Community portal). If you need to re-download a file from the Rocket Community portal, the proper way would be to go to the portal itself using the following link, and then navigate to the file you need using the portal web interface.

https://my.rocketsoftware.com/

You see, it's not download.rocketsoftware.com.

Regards,
    Vladimir

Vladimir Ein
    Software Engineer
    Rocket Software

• 5.  RE: cURL version manifest confusion

Posted 01-24-2022 11:19
    >Do I understand it correctly that you tried to re-open the link from Firefox's 'Downloads' page, and it didn't work? If so, I'd like to point out that the actual download links are not supposed to be permanent locations, and can't be used that way. Also, it's not safe to assume that the download links are hosted on the same address as the web interface itself (i.e. the Rocket Community portal). If you need to re-download a file from the Rocket Community portal, the proper way would be to go to the portal itself using the following link, and then navigate to the file you need using the portal web interface.

Yes. Because that's how things generally work. At a minimum, if those links are NOT going to work, they should wind up at a 404 page that explains this. Poor UX currently.

Phil Smith Iii
    Micro Focus
    Herndon VA US