Rocket U2 | UniVerse & UniData

View Only
  • 1.  UOJ log and lock files are generated why?

Posted 04-29-2021 12:01
    I found these files in our web server that use UniObjects for JAVA: uojlog_0.log.0, uojlog_0.log.0.lck, uojlog_1.log.0, uojlog_1.log.0.lck and on and on. Since I am using UOJ version 5.111.2 if that helps. BTW the files are always empty.

------------------------------
    Doug Averch (Owner)
    U2logic, Inc.
    daverch@u2logic.com
    303-946-5226 (cell & text)

• 2.  RE: UOJ log and lock files are generated why?

ROCKETEER
    Posted 04-30-2021 10:29
    Edited by Paul Chang 04-30-2021 14:32
    New empty log files are generated by new UOJ 5.2.1 client that implements new logging feature. We asked our UOJ engineer to remove them by default in the future release. Thanks for point this out Doug.

Paul Chang
    Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Rocket Software

• 3.  RE: UOJ log and lock files are generated why?

Posted 05-01-2021 11:30
    Hi Paul,

I am not sure deleting this feature is good, unless you mean "turning off logging by default".

I think if you could define:
    UniJava.setLogDebugLevel(Level.OFF); as the default, which would not create the empty (uojlog_0.log.0 & uojlog_0.log.0.lck files)  and continue to allow options as documented in the UOJ manual:

The log debug level, which can be set to one of the following: ALL, FINEST, FINER, FINE, CONFIG, INFO, WARNING, SEVERE, and
    OFF. If not specified, the default setting is WARNING.

thanks

Nik Kesic
    LKQ

• 4.  RE: UOJ log and lock files are generated why?

Posted 05-01-2021 15:47
    Hey Nic:

Your code generates an error because you have not told us where to get the Java Level library. I had ten chooses but I am not sure what the debug-level variable should be.
    UniJava.setLogDebugLevel(Level.OFF);

Doug Averch (Owner)
    www.u2logic.com
    daverch@u2logic.com

• 5.  RE: UOJ log and lock files are generated why?

Posted 05-01-2021 15:55
    Edited by Nik Kesic 05-01-2021 16:56
    Hello Doug,

You are right.

This should help:

import java.util.logging.Level;
    Just a note, when i set 'Level' to ALL(UniJava.setLogDebugLevel(Level.ALL);), I got 45KB of logs for a simple Subroutine call. When 'Level' was set to OFF(UniJava.setLogDebugLevel(Level.OFF);), I got zero bytes in the log file.  I believe OFF is the default, and should not allow the log files to be created or left behind in the first place. But I think there is more to the story, which I am sure Paul can comment on because of the momentary existence of.lck file.

cheers

Nik Kesic
    LKQ

• 6.  RE: UOJ log and lock files are generated why?

ROCKETEER
    Posted 05-03-2021 10:23
    On new UOJ 5.2.1 client, it implement new Java logging feature that can define new options in the uoj.properties file. The default logging option is set to WARNING. It might generate a new uojlog_0.log.0 file with empty byte. On some secure system, it won't be allowed to create new file that might break the application. We suggest to update new UOJ driver without generating new empty file by default. You still can set the logging option in the uoj.properties file or UOJ application.

Paul Chang
    Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Rocket Software

• 7.  RE: UOJ log and lock files are generated why?

PARTNER
    Posted 12-28-2023 05:11

Hello Paul 

I a fairly complex scenario , where should I place uoj.properties ?

is there any jvm property i can pass to tell the location of uoj.properties ? 

we have failed to find the place for it , so we can utrrn off the creation of the log and lck files that are messing with our logs a lot 

thanks in advance 

David Lopez
    Director of Software Strategy
    Quiter Servicios Informaticos SL
    Santander ES