Rocket Uniface Support Resources

View Only

Upgrading to Uniface 10.4.01: Community Edition User FAQs

Thread closed by the administrator, not accepting new replies.
  • 1.  Upgrading to Uniface 10.4.01: Community Edition User FAQs

ROCKETEER
    Posted 09-29-2021 20:50
    Edited by David Andrews 10-20-2021 10:03
    No replies, thread closed.
     How do I upgrade my Uniface Community Edition?

Version 10.4.01 is now a 64-bit application with a different default installation path and a brand new Repository. You install Uniface Community Edition 10.4.01 alongside version 10.3.02.  To use 10.4.01 you can easily migrate your sources.  You can upgrade in just a few steps.

Download and install

1. Download and install Uniface Community Edition 10.4.01. It is installed in a different location by default. Your 10.3 installation continues to be available.

Export all sources from 10.3.02

1. Start the Uniface IDE in your previous installation.
        1. You can do this by going to  Uniface 10 Community Edition   in your Windows Start menu and clicking   Uniface 10 - IDE .
      2. Export definitions to XML files. You can choose to export all objects in the Repository or make a selection of the objects you want to export. 
        1. Choose  Main Menu ( ≡ ) > Export  to display the  Export Repository Objects  form.
        2. To export all objects, click  Select All Objects  and enter the name of the XML export file, then click  Export

Import all sources into 10.4.01

1. Start your new version of Uniface, typically located in the  Rocket Uniface 10 Community Edition  folder of the Windows Start menu.
      2. Choose  Main Menu ( ≡ ) > Import XML...  to open the  Import Repository Objects  form.
      3. Enter or browse for the file you just exported and click  Import. This imports the repository objects and migrates them to the New Repository structure.
      4. Compile the imported objects.
        1. Start your new version of Uniface and enter /ALL in the Optional command line parameters.
        2. Click Continue to compile all imported objects.
      5. Test your application to ensure everything is working.

Optional

1. If you exported everything including templates and pallets, you can choose to reload the Uniface 10.4 templates which were overwritten by the import. Choose  Main Menu ( ≡ ) > Reload Templates  and choose  Load default templates .

2. If you have any custom files or configurations, such as an external js file for a web project, you will also need to copy these over manually.

Note: If you are not using the default installation path, you may need to rename or delete your SQLite source database file for your previous installation (by default, this can be found in project\dbms\usys.db) to avoid any conflicts.

And you're done! For more detailed instructions, see the Uniface Documentation.

Can I upgrade my Uniface Community Edition to 10.3.03?

No, you cannot, because Uniface 10.3.03 will not be made available for the Community Edition. Instead, you can upgrade to the latest and greatest version, Uniface 10.4.01 (coming soon!). You can find more details on this page . Please note that once Uniface 10.4.01 is available, no further patches for Uniface 10.3.02 will be released.

Can I upgrade my Uniface Community Edition 10.3 to 64-bit?

Uniface Community Edition 10.3.02 is only available as a 32-bit version. Uniface CE 10.4.01 is now 64-bit, so if you want to move to the 64-bit version, you will need to install version 10.4.01 alongside version 10.3.02. Your sources will be fully compatible, but there are a few installation steps you need to take to migrate your sources. Please see the documentation on how to proceed.   

Can I upgrade my Uniface Community Edition by overlaying a patch in a similar way I do with Uniface Enterprise Edition?

No, you cannot, because patches are not provided as overlayable ZIP files for the Uniface Community Edition. In addition, Uniface Community Edition 10.4.01 has a new Repository and is now 64-bit. This means you will need to install it alongside your existing CE version. Please see the documentation for the migration steps.

Will there be a Uniface Community Edition 10.4 32-bit?

No, Uniface Community Edition 10.4.01 will only be available as a 64-bit program. We recommend installing this latest version to be on the latest and greatest version of Uniface 10 Community Edition and to have access to the latest features. 

What is the best Uniface Community Edition version to be on?

We always recommend being on the latest version. That means Uniface Community Edition 10.4.01, as soon as it is released. Why? It will contain all the latest and greatest features and will be actively maintained. No more patches will be released on Uniface Community Edition 10.3.02. 

Can I install a second Uniface Community Edition on my second machine?

Yes, you can. You can install Uniface Community Edition up to 3 times, and on 3 different machines, with a single Entitlement ID. If you want to use your Entitlement ID on an additional machine, you first need to return the license from one of your existing installations in order to use it on a different machine. To return a license, simply open Uniface License Management from the Windows Start menu and select  Return License 

How is this version of the Uniface Community Edition different from my existing version?

The latest version of Uniface 10 Community Edition is now 64-bit,  
    to take advantage of faster and more secure processing power. In addition, we have made some changes to the Repository that will allow us to add new features to the IDE, such as fine-grained version control for library objects, and searching and filtering resources. 

Take note! These two major changes mean that you cannot do a simple update from your older Uniface 10 Community Edition to version 10.4.01. You will need to install version 10.4.01 alongside your older version and migrate your sources. For detailed steps on how to do this, see our simple migration guide

Can I install the Community Edition without impacting my Enterprise Edition installation?

Absolutely! These are installed in unique locations and are entirely separate. You will need a separate Community Edition license, which you will receive when registering to download Uniface 10 Community Edition. 

------------------------------
    Jan Cees Boogaard
    Manager, Customer Support
    Rocket Internal - All Brands
    Netherlands
    ------------------------------
    ​​​