Uniface User Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Waiting for PDF file "printing" to be complete using Ghostscript

PARTNER
    Posted 11-10-2021 10:05
    Hi everyone,

This is not a question, but a transcription of a private message exchange  to maybe help other people.

Following the installation of a Ghostscript PDF printer, as discussed here, I asked this question to Gianni Sandigliano who was kind enough to answer :

Me :

Hi Gianni.

Sorry to bother you directly, but I have a question regarding your 2018 post about Ghostscript PDF.

I've installed GS PDF and the multi file port system, I can print where I want using the instance name, so far so good.

But I need to send the PDF file generated by mail, so I have to be sure the process is over.

.../...

You say :
    syncronization between the two subsystems (your Uniface application and spooling subsystem) is up to you and could be implemented in many different ways.

It "seems" that the PDF file size stays 0 until it's over, but is it always true ? Is there a DCOM ? Is there a way to test if the Multi file port is active (but then what happens if several users print at the same time, we are on a TSE server)

.../...

His answer :

Ciao Jean-Marc,

Yes, the printing subsystem is asyncronous so you need to wait until the PDF file is completed before being able to apply a whatever post-processing.
    Ghostscript is involved here to convert PS to PDF at the end of the printing process; being a multiplatform software package does NOT support COM/DCOM.

IMHO you have at least 2 choices to properly syncronize:
    1) Use the command you've defined in MultiFilePortSystem to give back a signal to your waiting application, like generating a specific file.
    2) In a whatever way checks system locks on output file your application is waiting for.

I've seen both working in different implementations at different Uniface sites.

The simple way is try to fileload/raw the PDF you are expecting into a dummy variable.
    Until the file is generating you will get a $status less than 0; when you are getting $status more than 0 the file is complete and you can clean your dummy variable and go on with your application functionality.

I hope this help you to complete your job!

Gianni

So thanks to him again and I hope it will help other people too.

------------------------------
    Jean-Marc SALIS
    Rocket Forum Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Waiting for PDF file "printing" to be complete using Ghostscript

ROCKETEER
    Posted 11-10-2021 10:07
    Thanks for sharing this info. Appreciated.

Daniel Iseli
    Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Uniface Services
    Rocket Software, Switzerland

• 3.  RE: Waiting for PDF file "printing" to be complete using Ghostscript

Posted 11-11-2021 08:52
    I used the method of waiting for the ghost script process to be over, but I had to ask myself "what does that mean?" since it's a separate asynchronous process I didn't know how long to wait so I thought I would use the task manager to tell me when it was done. Here's a quick snippet if anyone is interested.

commandin = "tasklist /FI %%"IMAGENAME eq gswin32c.exe%%""
    count = 0
    repeat
    if ($lfileexists("c:\temp\print.pdf") = 1) break
    message/nobeep "Print pending....please wait (G:%%count%%%)."
    sleep 100
    count += 1
    activate "oscommand".commandout(commandin,commandout)
    scan commandout,"PID"
    until ($result = 0 | count > 10)

Adkins Larry
    Proware
    Cincinnati OH United States

• 4.  RE: Waiting for PDF file "printing" to be complete using Ghostscript

PARTNER
    Posted 11-19-2021 10:45
    i remember the same problem firing pdfwriter, while pdfwriter is building the pdf, it's not there yet, the trick check of the file is build, (prefarable use a guid for naming this file), then when finisched, rename it to the outputfile of your choice.

Dino Seelig
    Tcco
    Drunen NL

• 5.  RE: Waiting for PDF file "printing" to be complete using Ghostscript

PARTNER
    Posted 11-19-2021 14:27
    With PDFWriter you've got (had ?) a DCOM object which you can communicate with to know the status of the printing (that's the method we use with it)

Jean-Marc SALIS
    Rocket Forum Shared Account