Uniface User Forum

View Only
  • 1.  10.4.x Debugger

PARTNER
    Posted 01-18-2023 13:47
    Edited by Joanne DeTurk 01-18-2023 14:40
    I am new to Uniface 10.4.x (but not new to Uniface).  I am trying to debug starting my application (it cannot connect to the database and I'm trying to figure out why).  Anyhow, I have added "debug" to the start-up shell and to an operation it calls in a different form component.  I even added /deb to the start properties.  The debugger launches, but it never stops for me to actually step my way through the code.  I know it is calling the operation that I put the debug statement in because i also have $ioprint turned on.

Any ideas what I don't have set up correctly?

Thanks.

P.S. - I am looking at the results from the $ioprint and noticed the following, which I suspect may be why my putmess statements aren't working either:
    Object Lookup: C:\Uniface\Uniface10.4.02\common\usys\usys.uar msg/u_print@his20@usa.msg
    Object Lookup: C:\Uniface\Uniface10.4.02\common\usys\ide_messages.uar msg/u_print@his20@usa.msg
    Object Lookup: C:\Uniface\Uniface10.4.02\common\usys\ide_messages.uar msg/u_print@usys@usa.msg
    Object Lookup: External Path / Dbms msg/u_print@usys@usa.msg
    Non-DBMS file open error: c:\mirion\uniface\resources\msg\u_print@usys@usa.msg
    Filesystem error: #2 (The system cannot find the file specified.)

Here is how I set up the ASN for the application RESOURCE section:
    [RESOURCES]
    usys:ide.uar
    usys:ide_messages.uar
    usys:ide_classic.uar
    c:\mirion\uniface\resources

------------------------------
    DeTurk Joanne
    Software Manager
    Mirion Technologies (Canberra), Inc.

• 2.  RE: 10.4.x Debugger

ROCKETEER
    Posted 01-19-2023 04:53
    Silly question: did you, by any chance, compile the component in question with /nodebug? This could explain why the Debugger does not get active when the operation with the debug statement is executed.

You could also enable $PROC_TRACING in the ASN of the application and check if it shows any tracing of the code in the log file. E.g.

[SETTINGS]
    $proc_tracing = true
    $proc_tracing_addition = [C=%%$componentname][S=%%$status]

Regarding the message that apparently is not found: the U_PRINT message is part of the USYS.UAR resource (located in \common\usys of your Uniface 10.4 installation). The mentioned resource is normally loaded from the default USYS.ASN (in \common\adm). This does not seem to be the case here. You can check which resources are used by the application by executing the /who command line switch.

Also, is there any reason why you are using the IDE resources with your application? Or is this a test environment? It is a bit odd to specify the application resources (c:\mirion\uniface\resources) after the IDE resources.

I hope this helps.

Daniel Iseli
    Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Uniface Services
    Rocket Software, Switzerland

• 3.  RE: 10.4.x Debugger

PARTNER
    Posted 01-23-2023 14:00
    Daniel - I didn't no there was a no debug option!  I found it in the IDE.ASN and set it to can be debugged (even through that says it is the default, mine was set to 1 or cannot be debugged).  

I will let you know if I have any other problems.

Thanks.
    JCDeTurk

DeTurk Joanne
    Software Manager
    Mirion Technologies (Canberra), Inc.