Uniface User Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Uniface database disconnect

PARTNER
    Posted 03-21-2023 08:33

Hi
    Has anyone seen anything similar or otherwise is able to explain this.
    A customer says that their Sql-server log shows a lot of login failures, its about 15 failing logins per second.
    This happens every day and it can be different users.

We now know that this happens as  users unplugs the laptop from the network, moves on to another room and connects again.
    During this move Uniface has stopped working, at least the connection to the database has been lost.
    As the laptop is connected to the network again, Uniface starts trying to connect to the database and for some reason Uniface uses the ad-login of the user, although the used ODBC-source is defined using quite another user. Below a picture of the Sql-Server log.

As I know there is nothing in the Uniface-program that tries connecting to the database during the move to another room.
    Is there any parameter that could be used to avoid that Uniface is disconnected from the database, at least that it would be possible to continue as the move to another room is done fairly quickly. 
    Or are there any other solutions to this? (Except exiting from Uniface during the move. And the connect to the database shouldn't be done with the user-name of the Uniface user).

------------------------------
    Roger Wallin
    Abilita Oy

• 2.  RE: Uniface database disconnect

Posted 03-21-2023 10:22

Do you have any sort of failover set (meaning - if the network connection is lost, the client will automatically try to reconnect)?

It's normally set on the DBMS level...

Regards,

Knut

Knut Dybendahl

• 3.  RE: Uniface database disconnect

PARTNER
    Posted 03-22-2023 05:35

Hi Knut,
    As usual this happens at a customer and I have to investigate further.
    However you mentioning the word "failover", I found that there is a parameter in the Odbc-source named "Multi-subnet failover".
    I've to investigate that a bit, but I doubt that it's marked at the customer...
    There is also the odbc client-parameter
    "How should Sql Server verify the authenticity of the login ID"
    1. With integrated Windows authentication
    2. With Sql Server authentication using a login ID and password entered by the user.

I've to investigate how these settings affects our way of opening a connection from Uniface by a predefined user....

But if anyone has had the same problems, how did you solve it? It would be better stopping the client from trying to reconnect that aggressive...
    Somehow I think this isn't a Uniface problem, but a Sql server client matter.  Or do I need some kind of Asynch-trigger trying to open a lost connection in the same way as when the program is started...
    I'm really confused about why the client is trying to connect to the Sql Server as no one is using the program during the disconnect....

Roger Wallin
    Abilita Oy

• 4.  RE: Uniface database disconnect

Posted 03-22-2023 10:29

I don't think it's the client (in this case Uniface) that's connecting so 'aggressively'  - I suspect the db client...

We had a similar issue with Oracle - the 'failover' option was set on the db - so when the user changed their pwd
    (as they have to do every 30 days) - the Oracle client (SQL*Net) had cashed the old pwd.  The problem only came
    to light when the db connection was timed out (30 minute inactive--> disconnect).  When the user then attempted
    to access the db from Uniface, SQL*Net discovered the connection was lost - and tried to connect using the 
    OLD password - and of course the the accounts got locked...

So, I'm leaning towards the DB client sw...

Regards,
    Knut

Knut Dybendahl