Rocket OpenQM

View Only
  • 1.  Wildcard characters in select statements

Posted 06-30-2023 10:25

we are working on D3 to QM conversion. 

The client had a number of select statements that use wildcards.

we already know, and are converting to "pattern matching" from QM.

The square brackets all still work.  Is there any characters to use similar to D3      with part.nbr = "A^^3^^"

The up carrot was a wild card character for a single character.

I have been searching the online docs, but have not found it. (like most docs, if you know what you are searching for, it is easy)

------------------------------
    Jesse Tillia
    Rocket Forum Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Wildcard characters in select statements

Posted 07-03-2023 04:09

Hi Jesse,

The docs mention in several places that there are options for PICK compatibility ... but they don't actually spell out the syntax of that compatibility. So, it is reliant on you knowing the syntax, and that matching the understanding of the OpenQM developers ...

The primary option that you will need to set is:  PICK.WILDCARD (which is part of D3 option superset).

I can confirm that the square brackets work, but I haven't tried the caret. The quickest thing to do is just try it - but as a basic part of the PICK wildcard system, I expect it would work.

Using MATCHES in queries is pretty simple though (and I recall using the same patterns with MATCHES back in mvBASE).

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Speirs
    Senior Analyst - Information Systems
    Rush Flat Ltd
    Wellington NZ

• 3.  RE: Wildcard characters in select statements

ROCKETEER
    Posted 07-03-2023 04:10

Jesse,

If you search in the "old" OpenQM docs at OpenQM on "widlcard", it brings up a list of possibilities, the first of which is the "EQ" entry.

It states:

Pick Style Wildcards

If the PICK.WILDCARD option is enabled (see the OPTION command) and the value item is a literal value, the interpretation is extended to include use of Pick style wildcard characters:

A [ character at the start of the value replaces any number of leading characters. It is equivalent to the … action of the LIKE operator.

A ] character at the end of the value replaces any number of trailing characters. It is equivalent to the … action of the LIKE operator.

A ^ character within the value replaces a single character. It is equivalent to the 1X action of the LIKE operator.

See also here - EQ (rocketsoftware.com)

LIKE (rocketsoftware.com)

Does that help?

Mike

Mike Street
    Technical Support Engineer
    Rocket Internal - All Brands