Uniface User Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Uniface 10 Automation Potential

PARTNER
    Posted 02-10-2022 04:48
    Hi All,

We are looking to start upgrading our products to use Uniface 10 and I am wondering if anyone has had much success with test automation using Uniface 10?  Out software mainly runs on windows clients and we found it extremely time consuming to automate when on Uniface 9.7.  When we tried we where using a tool called Ranorex, so just wondering if anyone else has had better success and could recommend a tool they use?

Thanks,
    David

------------------------------
    David Murray
    Sanderson Multi-channel Solutions Ltd

• 2.  RE: Uniface 10 Automation Potential

PARTNER
    Posted 02-15-2022 10:37
    Hi David.

I haven't done test automation with Uniface for many years. Back then their own product QARun and a product that I think was called Mercury were the only tools that could address Uniface screen objects correctly. Since, I believe, neither is currently available I am not sure that is possible any more. However, since then Uniface has enhanced their backend so screens and objects MAY now be addressable to other programs. Web pages generated by Uniface are just HTML etc so should be automatable with any tool that does web pages.
    Additionally in Uniface 9 they introduced support for the Microsoft accessibility engine. I haven't looked into it in much detail but what little I did look at is that it allowed developers to write applications that could provide enhanced support for disabilities. As such it would need to provide tie ins to an application's actual screen furniture in order to redirect that action onto their accessible version. I think this was intended to be used as the next version of test automation although you would need someone who could write for that and a test tool that works with it that way. If you search the help docs (on this site) for MSAA it brings up a lot of technical results so it seems to still be there but I cant see a good starting point for information.

Good Luck

Mike

Mike Porter
    MR
    Equiniti Ics Ltd.