Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only

Rocket Software's Python vs IBM Open Enterprise Python

Jump to Best Answer
  •   Python
Glenn De Cooman's profile image
Glenn De Cooman posted 10-29-2021 04:25
Hello, I am looking to use Python on our mainframe. In my search I have come across two versions:
  • Rocket Software's Python (<= 3.7)
  • IBM Open Enterprise Python (>= 3.8)
Now, apart from the versions offered, it is not clear to me if there are any significant differences between these two.
Is Rocket Software still developing their version? Or did they halt active development because IBM released theirs?

I hope somebody can give me some insight into this matter.

Kind regards,
Glenn

#Python
Peter Fandel's profile image
Peter Fandel Best Answer
Hi Glenn,
Rocket has paused investment in our own Python (aside from CVE fixes) pending agreement with IBM to bundle IBM Python and migrate all our other ports to interoperate with IBM Python.  The work to modify our other ports is already done and ready to release to all our user community for all the ports included in Rocket Open AppDev for Z.  We hope to wrap up the agreement with IBM before the year is out.
Regards,
-Peter
Rob Hamilton's profile image
Rob Hamilton

I asked about this a while back. Miniconda and other Rocket tools are dependent on the Rocket Python. Ansible and other IBM tools are dependent on the IBM Python. I was told that Miniconda would support the IBM Python sometime soon, or at least, that’s how I interpreted what I heard.

R;

Rob Hamilton's profile image
Rob Hamilton
This is excellent. Thanks, Peter!!!

R;
Glenn De Cooman's profile image
Glenn De Cooman
Thank you, Peter. Exactly what I wanted to know.

Kind regards,
Glenn