Uniface User Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Uniface 8: testing application through automation

Posted 12-13-2018 07:30

Hello,

I have an application developed using Uniface -8. Since it has no web user interface, it is challenging to automate the application. This application is like a command line desktop application.

Please suggest a way to automate the flows using a tool or script.

thanks

P

• 2.  RE: Uniface 8: testing application through automation

Posted 12-13-2018 17:09

Hi Pramod,

Uniface 8 is not anymore supported since years and few more details on how your application is installed and configured could help.

Anyhow, it is an application!

Supposing your is an application with an UI (User Interface) and NOT a pure batch application starting from command line, any tool able to capture and replay with the User Interface (CHAR or WINDOWS) used from your application should do the trick; I made a quick google session for you:

• WINDOWS provide out of the box "Step Recorder" also called "Problem Step Recorder" in Win7.
    • Almost all CHAR terminal emulator packages include the functionality you are looking for.

If these two ideas do not fit your needs you can find many others starting to google with "capture replay" keywords.

If your application is a pure batch application started from command line I feel you should dig/learn how to pass parameters to it.

It's just a starting but I hope it helps!

Gianni

• 3.  RE: Uniface 8: testing application through automation

Posted 12-14-2018 05:25

Thank you Gianni for your response.

It is a batch application and using shell script few things could be automated. I would still prefer having a tool as it helps in automating the test cases faster through the libraries it provides. I know that there are tools which automates desktop applications but there are very few tools which can automate a batch type application unless it exposes its functions/APIs. 

Thanks again,

P

• 4.  RE: Uniface 8: testing application through automation

Posted 12-14-2018 16:12

Hi Pramod,

A pure batch application should anyhow work based on some parameters...and those parameters are usually read somewhere (from DBMS, XML file, TXT file(s), ...) after an initialization stage.

You could try to execute your application in an interactive session after adding a /deb switch to its usual command line; in this way Uniface is starting its debugger. Trying to follow what the application is doing you could probably discover where the application is taking its parameter(s) to do its job.

It's NOT a simple activity but if you are smart enough to discover something you could easily re-create various test scenarios for your application.

I feel it's the only choice you have...good luck!

Gianni

• 5.  RE: Uniface 8: testing application through automation

Posted 12-15-2018 18:40

Thanks Gianni,

I will give it a try.