Uniface User Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Continuous Integration / Deployment

Posted 09-24-2019 19:54

Hello all,

Is anyone here working in an organisation with a reasonable size development team and following processes on the more agile side of things?

If so, how are you tackling things like continuous integration and continuous deployment? My (limited) experience of Uniface to date is only one person can work in the same area at anyone time, let alone automated build and deployment.

If anyone has any advice/experience on setting up continuous integration and deployment?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Continuous Integration / Deployment

Posted 09-25-2019 05:56

Hi Simon,

Uniface is probably not a perfect tool but these sentences from you:

How are you tackling things like continuous integration and continuous deployment? My (limited) experience of Uniface to date is only one person can work in the same area at anyone time, let alone automated build and deployment.

are definitively NOT corresponding to my experience. Almost every customer or VAR I know is maintaining a large repository with hundred/thousands component daily maintained, evolved, integrated, deployed from a group of people.

Could you please detail a little bit further your assumptions/feelings?
    A larger description of:
    - perimeter of your experience
    - requirements
    - problems found
    could help us to start to address your concerns.

Gianni

• 3.  RE: Continuous Integration / Deployment

Posted 09-25-2019 08:10

Hi Simon,

I agree with Gianni. We have a number of developers and they work on the same repository. Move the repository to a database that allow multi user connections and that solves that. Our Uniface objects are exported and checked into Subversion.

We then use Jira with Bamboo to build snapshot releases by importing the changed objects from Subversion, compile with Uniface and create MSI packages as artefacts and then go into Nexus.

Ormond

• 4.  RE: Continuous Integration / Deployment

Posted 09-25-2019 13:43

Hi Ormond,

That is extremely positive to hear. Jira, Bamboo and Nexus are tools I'm more used to hearing. 

Thanks,

Simon

• 5.  RE: Continuous Integration / Deployment

Posted 09-25-2019 13:45

Thanks for your answers...

Are there links, references on how to set up development/build pipelines for developing with Uniface?

Be great if there was any information detailing how to position Uniface in a modern development pipeline.

Simon

• 6.  RE: Continuous Integration / Deployment

Posted 09-25-2019 15:01

I do not think that you will find a reference to links that will answer your question directly. Take it step by step. First get a repository in a database that can be accessed by more than one user at a time. So what is the version of Uniface that you are using? And the database drivers that you are licensed to use. Secondly what will you use for configuration management eg Subversion? Then you need to decide how you want to get all the objects from the repository into configuration control. This will be a nice blog for you to start.

• 7.  RE: Continuous Integration / Deployment

Posted 09-25-2019 15:30

Hi Simon,

A development env configuration (probably same you called a "modern development pipeline") has various dependecies:
    - Size of development group
    - Experiences of developers
    - Application(s) perimeter
    - Development methodology
    and it can be adapted to accomplish different requirements during time.

A simple example: I know companies preferring to NOT use a version control system, while others cannot live developing without it!

So, as Ormond already told: take it step by step!

It seems me and Ormond are on same thinking mode... 🙂

Gianni