Uniface User Forum

View Only
  • 1.  What is the most advanced solution for using GIT

Posted 03-10-2021 12:03

Hello,
    what is the most advanced solution for using GIT to manage the versioning of a tool developed with Uniface 10.3?

Thank you in advance. 
    Best regards

• 2.  RE: What is the most advanced solution for using GIT
    Best Answer

PARTNER
    Posted 03-10-2021 13:02

What do you mean with 'most advanced'? GIT does the versioning of files. Only thing you need is 'something' to sync the Uniface repository with files. 

Try the 'WorkArea Support Plugin'. It does this synchronizing the Uniface repo with a local folder. That local folder can be your GIT working directory.

This plugin can be found on the Uniface website, that is a compiled version, ready to go.

Since you are using GIT, try the open source project of this plugin: https://github.com/uniface/WASListener.git

This version on GIT can be modified to your needs.

• 3.  RE: What is the most advanced solution for using GIT

PARTNER
    Posted 03-10-2021 13:04

One advise.

The plugin uses a 3GL to keep act on file events in the folder. 

This plugin is not specific for GIT, it can be used with anything you like.

Since you use GIT you might consider to user GIT hooks to respond to file changes. 

• 4.  RE: What is the most advanced solution for using GIT

PARTNER
    Posted 03-10-2021 13:06

The plugin on the Uniface website can be found here: <ac:link><ri:page ri:space-key="DOW" ri:content-title="Work Area Support Utility"></ri:page></ac:link>

• 5.  RE: What is the most advanced solution for using GIT

Posted 03-10-2021 16:05

Yes, bad question!
    But good answer i will try to sync my sources to see what kind of version we can have.
    I'm new in my team and I now discover Uniface.
    Thanks for the answer!

• 6.  RE: What is the most advanced solution for using GIT

PARTNER
    Posted 03-10-2021 16:42

Never mind the quality of the question. 🙂

Please try the plugin. It's really nice and does the job without too much overhead. It's something you can integrate in your own tooling. One of the biggest advantages of Uniface 10 is the flexibility. You can add your own toolset or modify a lot in the one Uniface delivers as default.

I have a question for you. Are you an experienced GIT user? And Github?