Uniface User Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

Thread closed by the administrator, not accepting new replies.
  • 1.  Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER
    Posted 11-19-2018 11:45
    No replies, thread closed.

U10.3: installing Metadictionary

Author: ulrichmerkel@web.de (ulrich-merkel)

As U10.3 will be the first one which delivers a metadictionary, a lot of people want to have a straight look at it, but: /INS META will return an error: IDE command line switch /INS is not supported when $SEARCH_RESOURCES = RESOURCES_ONLY Before we start editing ASN files, it's much faster to use the "Import XML …" and we enter directly "D:\USYS103\uniface\misc\umeta.xml". WARNING: when we use the navigation in the "Open" window, we change the working directory as well. When we use relative paths this will no longer work. So better exit the IDF after the import is done

• 2.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

Thanks Uli, but I've researched this as much as I've could and I did read that bit from Theo and it still doesn't provide me with enough clues to get to the next step in the process. I'm getting these types of errors just when trying to ope the new IDF: ORACLE Driver Error [-80]: Column has incorrect ORACLE storage format: Table USOURCE, Column MSGTYPE, expected storage format VARCHAR2, actual storage format is CHAR ORACLE Driver Error [-80]: Column has incorrect ORACLE storage format: Table USOURCE, Column UCLASS, expected storage format VARCHAR2, actual storage format is CHAR ORACLE Driver Error [-80]: Column has incorrect ORACLE storage format: Table USOURCE, Column LOCREF, expected storage format VARCHAR2, actual storage format is CHAR ORA-00904: "UWAORDER": invalid identifier ORACLE Driver Error [-52]: Open driver request failed. Import summary for file G:\Uniface\10.3.01\uniface\misc\umeta.xml: Records successfully imported: 75. Write errors: 1483. Unfortunately, the Uniface 10.3 installation didn't come with the normal .\uniface\sql folder so I could create a brand new repository with those scripts.....and I'm not in the mood to take the 10.2 scripts and modify them according to all the changes listed in the release notes. Perhaps I'm missing an important bit of information here, but I think I've done my due diligence -- this isn't my first Uniface install. Luckily, I asked my DBA to export the schema in Oracle before I kicked this off so I'm covered from that perspective. Things like this should be covered in either the readme or the release notes and I could find nothing in either that would assist me. Larry

Author: adkinsl (adkins.larry@gmail.com)

• 3.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

Hi Larry, SQL Scripts for your repository are no longer delivered with the product. You can now generate them yourself using the /gensql command line switch, see  https://unifaceinfo.com/docs/1000/uniface/_reference/commandLineSwitches/gensql.htm Pay particular attention to the /meta sub-switch.   After you have the 10.3 IDE running on a fresh 10.3 repository you can import the umeta.xml (of 10.3).   DO NOT USE UNIFACE 10.3 IDE ON A UNIFACE 9 OR 10.2 REPOSITORY !!! DO NOT USE A UNIFACE 9 OR 10.2 DICT MODEL ON A 10.3 REPOSITORY !!!   Regards, Theo Neeskens

Author: Theo Neeskens (tneeskens@itblockz.nl)

• 4.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

Are there steps to follow when going from Uniface 10.2 to 10.3? I just tried and now I can't see anything in my repository. It appears the internal structure has changed, but I don't see any notes saying that you must import the umeta.xml to get those changes. I tried to import that file too and I only got errors. I've submitted a support call for this but I'm reminded of the popup that says that I should back everything up......I did.....just saying that a quick note on first steps (clearly identified) would go a long way.

• 5.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

Hi Larry, In my current U10.3 experiments (exploring the Uniface Customization options vs. old ADDITIONAL), I have not reached the "will U10.2 forms keep their functionality even in U10.3" phase. But IIRC there was a note somewhere which can be interpreted that you have to migrate from 10.2 to 10.3. The good old: export from the old version import into the new version Have a nice day, Uli

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)

• 6.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

Hi Larry, found the note from Theo Neeskens at https://unifaceinfo.com/forum/uniface-10-enterprise-edition/about-the-u10-dict/#p6052916 Uli

• 7.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

Sorry for this bug! /ins does (should) not exist anymore in Uniface 10 at all. It has been removed for the documentation, but it seems it has not (completely been removed from the code. I have created Jira issue UNI-12433 for this. You indeed need to import this file just like any other Uniface export file.

• 8.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

Old Uniface Codes have after 25 years some "intuitive" reflex entering "/INS META"  or "/INS SOURCE" Looks like I was blinded by the "/inst" switch in the helpfile

Command Line Switches

at least it has a very irritating errormessage (what has /INS to do with resources ??) As I'm a lazy guy, I have not started experimenting with the $SEARCH_RESOURCES alternatives.   Thanks for the Information, Uli

• 9.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

Too late.....again, that's something that should be included in the readme.htm and/or the release notes and What's new in 10.3 for that matter. I'll see if the /gensql has good enough documentation to follow. I guess I have to ask my DBA to create a new repository instance in Oracle so I can see my components again.

• 10.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER
    adkinsl said Too late.....again, that's something that should be included in the readme.htm and/or the release notes and What's new in 10.3 for that matter. I'll see if the /gensql has good enough documentation to follow. I guess I have to ask my DBA to create a new repository instance in Oracle so I can see my components again.  

When you study the Uniface Library topic Uniface 10: Repository Changes under What's New in Uniface 10 then it says:

"To support the new Uniface IDE, changes have been made to the Uniface Repository. This means that it is not possible to run the Uniface IDE against a Uniface 9 Repository or even a Uniface 10.1 or 10.2 Repository. The changes have no impact on runtime behavior." There's a link from the What's New in Uniface 10.3.01 page to the topic mentioned above (see Repository-Related Changes). I'll, however, forward your feedback to the colleagues in the lab. Hope this helps. Regards, Daniel Iseli

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)

• 11.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

I just submitted a Uniface documentation update request to help others avoid this pitfall.

• 12.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

I have just updated the Uniface 10 documentation on Uniface.Info. It includes:

More prominent notes on the need to migrate from earlier versions of Uniface, including from Uniface 10.2. (Whats New in Uniface 10.3.01 )

More information on creating a new Repository if you don't want to use the default one created when you install Uniface. (Prepare for Migration and Creating Tables for a Uniface Repository) The CHM file and Migration Guide PDF have also been updated. Regards Barbara Douma Information Developer, Uniface

Author: Barbara Douma (barbara.douma@uniface.com)

• 13.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

I am missing a Like button here. Thanks Barbara.

• 14.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER
    Barbara Douma said I have just updated the Uniface 10 documentation on Uniface.Info. It includes:

The CHM file and Migration Guide PDF have also been updated.

Hi Barbara, The documentation subpage only shows one date per version, so it's hard to tell which artifact (online/chm/pdf/tutorial) needs to be downloaded. As times have changed and we do not get biweekly patches including CHMs: would you please post modifications other than "online" just as you did it here? TIA, Uli P.S. The Migration Guide is much clearer now about the repository differences U10.2/U10.3 But still my primary documentation is the CHM at hand (somtimes hardcopies of sections)

• 15.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

Hi Uli, The intention is that documentation updates will once again be bi-weekly and in-synch with the patches, so the date on the documentation page should be reasonably reliable. The Uniface Library in CHM form is still our primary documentation, with PDFs being merely selections of topics that are available in the Uniface Library.  The Migration Guide is just the What's new section and Migrating to Uniface 10 section from the Uniface Library, arranged slightly differently.  The CHM file and online Uniface Library are updated with every patch. PDFs are refreshed if necessary.  

Author: Barbara Douma (barbara.douma@uniface.com)

• 16.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: U10.3: installing Metadictionary

ROCKETEER

Thank you, Barbara, for making clear that we still have the complete patch (bi-weekly including CHM) schedule intact. Will check the new 10.3 CHM over the weekend. Greetings from a sunny saturday morning in Frankfurt/Germany, Uli P.S: I saw that you and Theo did an excellent work on the 9.7.05.001 CHM: and a correct breadcrumb composition (as the only cause of the majority of changed pages) but as well a lot of corrections of typos and missing spaces which serves the uniface customers