Uniface User Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: a "project_standalone" environment generated during installation would be helpful

Thread closed by the administrator, not accepting new replies.
  • 1.  Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: a "project_standalone" environment generated during installation would be helpful

ROCKETEER
    Posted 11-19-2018 11:44
    No replies, thread closed.

a "project_standalone" environment generated during installation would be helpful

Author: ulrichmerkel@web.de (ulrich-merkel)

I think most of us can not do all their work in just a single project directory. It's quite common to have a couple of independend environments for development, review, testing and production. After the U10 installation we have a "project" directory, but in the /ADM directory we have a lot of hardcoded absolute path entries. Due to this fact, you may copy your "project" directory but still work on only the same database and resourceset which creates some irritation.   Before any user has to find out how he has to create "standalone" ASN, INI, starting command; I would see it as a nice support especially for newbies, if this "project_standalone" with it's internal LOGS and ADM directory and a little start_idf.bat file could be generated during the installation. All paths (apart from the installation directory) should be relative to the "project_standalone" position.

• 2.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: a "project_standalone" environment generated during installation would be helpful

ROCKETEER

Hi Urlich, I cannot agree more, it is an ever repeating problem. Not only to have the ability to divide your source code, but also to do a quick prototype of some sort, it would be really nice to be able to create a complete isolated "project_standalone". And then I really mean isolated, so including your sources, resource, config files, urouter congix, webserver config and websites, etc. And all of this by pushing a single button in the IDE: Create "project_standalone". In the Lab, we have started a project that we call: Work Area support, and the goal of that project is to have an proper integration with any kind of (file-based) Source Control System, like e.g. GIT. Part of such a solution I can imagine we need to handle this as well, simply to support things like branching, meaning you go parallel and you are parallel in complete isolation of the rest. And then you want to easily switch back to the main branch. That way of working requires Uniface to be able to switch complete - what you call - isolated projects. So maybe, just maybe, we will have this some day... Gerton

Author: Gerton Leijdekker (gerton.leijdekker@uniface.com)

• 3.  RE: Uniface 10 Enterprise Edition: a "project_standalone" environment generated during installation would be helpful

ROCKETEER

Hi Gerton, wow!! what a big task with all that urouter, webserver and on top supported by GIT !   But I think for the people making their first experiences with U10 right now, it may be helpful just to isolate sources, output resource, ADM, and all that with relative paths. Perhaps with the next update on U10 ??? As you have said, this excercise is done time and time again and causes some frustration because of the common vs. uniface adm overlays. Greetings from Frankfurt/Germany, Uli

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)