Rocket U2 | UniVerse & UniData

View Only
  • 1.  Universe 11.3.1/Windows: Trigger not firing when a record is replicated, not sure what to check

Posted 04-24-2021 18:19
    I have replication setup on a UV 11.3.1/Windows system from one account to another on the same box.  On the destination file, I have a trigger that goes through and cleans the data and creates a record in another file that I'm exporting to SQL Server via EDA.  However, when I change a source record that gets correctly replicated to the destination, my trigger is not running and the cleansed file is not being updated.

I have RW_SKIP_TRIGGER=0 in repconfig according to the docs, but I keep getting this error in the logs:

Sat Apr 24 15:34:33 repconfig at line 16: RW_SKIP_TRIGGER cannot turn off: Current release does not support this feature.

What can I check?

------------------------------
    Kevin King
    President
    Precision Solutions, Inc.

• 2.  RE: Universe 11.3.1/Windows: Trigger not firing when a record is replicated, not sure what to check

ROCKETEER
    Posted 04-25-2021 09:21
    Kevin,
    The initial implementation of Replication in UniVerse did not support the firing of a Trigger on the subscriber. A message was added to Replication to warn that setting RW_SKIP_TRIGGER to 0 was not allowed. At the 11.3.1 release, the ability to fire a trigger on the subscriber was added. However, due to an omission, the warning message that had originally been implemented was not removed. There is an open ticket to have the message removed but for your purposes, you can ignore the message and the firing of the trigger on the subscriber should work. If you define the file as sub-writeable, are you able to confirm that updating the subscribed file outside of replication will fire the trigger and update the secondary file?
    Thanks,
    Neil

Neil Morris
    UniVerse Advanced Technical Support
    Rocket Software

• 3.  RE: Universe 11.3.1/Windows: Trigger not firing when a record is replicated, not sure what to check

Posted 04-25-2021 21:42
    Yessir, with sub-writable enabled I am able to simply edit the file in the subscriber and file it and the trigger is fired.  But when the record initially appears in that file from the publisher, the trigger does not fire, or at least the updates that are supposed to be happening are not happening.  I suppose I could write some kind of record to a log when the trigger runs just to track that it did run; perhaps it's passing some parameter values my routine isn't expecting?

I'll try that.

Kevin King, President / Chief Technologist
    630 15th Ave Suite 201, Longmont, CO 80501
    Phone: 303-651-7050  Fax: 720-442-9204
    Kevin@PrecisOnline.com | https://www.PrecisOnline.com

• 4.  RE: Universe 11.3.1/Windows: Trigger not firing when a record is replicated, not sure what to check

ROCKETEER
    Posted 04-27-2021 07:51
    Hi Kevin,
    One question would be whether the interactive session executes a LOGIN proc or paragraph that sets something up which is required for the trigger to run? When the uvrw processes are started, they do not run any LOGIN procedure. Just a thought. Also, does the uvrw.errlog file contain anything when the update fails to fire the trigger?
    Thanks,
    Neil

Neil Morris
    Rocket Software

• 5.  RE: Universe 11.3.1/Windows: Trigger not firing when a record is replicated, not sure what to check

Posted 04-28-2021 17:03
    There is nothing in the LOGIN that would influence this.  The uvrw.log doesn't say anything when the trigger fails to fire although there is an error about "RW_SKIP_TRIGGER cannot be disabled in this release" or something like that.

I've converted my logic to use an index subroutine and that is working.  

Kevin King, President / Chief Technologist
    630 15th Ave Suite 201, Longmont, CO 80501
    Phone: 303-651-7050  Fax: 720-442-9204
    Kevin@PrecisOnline.com | https://www.PrecisOnline.com

• 6.  RE: Universe 11.3.1/Windows: Trigger not firing when a record is replicated, not sure what to check

ROCKETEER
    Posted 04-28-2021 17:17
    Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for the feedback. I know I tested this a while back because someone else was confused by the warning message and did find triggers were working as expected on the subscriber. Which build of UV 11.3.1 on Windows are you running? I can run some tests to see if there are any problems with a particular build and/or OS platform.
    Thanks,
    Neil

Neil Morris
    Rocket Software