z/OS Tools & Language

Expand all | Collapse all

Perldoc returns garbage characters

  • 1.  Perldoc returns garbage characters

    Posted 07-17-2018 09:41

    Hello!
    I couldn’t find any similar questions on this in the forum so I’ve posted my own.

    I recently installed perl 5.24 on zOS. When we use the perldoc command, for example ‘perldoc perlbot’, the command returns garbage characters along with valid text, like so:

    ^[1mNAME^[m
    perlbot - Links to information on object-oriented programming in Perl

    ^[1mDESCRIPTION^[m
    For information on OO programming with Perl, please see perlootut and
    perlobj.

    (The above documents supersede the collection of tricks that was formerly
    here in perlbot.)
    

    /tmp/D2m_sMWEA1

    I found what I think are the source files for these pages in /share/man/cat1. They look OK there.

    The output looks mostly ok but not perfect if I’m in the OMVS shell (called from TSO). It looks worse in putty, which is what I was using in the example above.

    I’m wondering what I did wrong on the install/configuration.

    I do have a file not found that didn’t pass the check after the install : /lib/perl5/5.24.0/os390/perllocal.pod . It gets a ‘fail’ when I run the script and indeed is missing. I don’t know if this is related or not to my problem.

    Thanks!



  • 2.  RE: Perldoc returns garbage characters

    Posted 07-23-2018 08:56

    Hi,

    Thanks for using ported tools and reporting the issue. We have the same problem. I have created an internal ticket.
    I let you know, when we fix this.

    Thanks,
    Tatyana