Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only
  • 1.  Setting up Python for common usage

Posted 08-24-2018 04:21

I’ve installed and used python in my own home area for some time now.
    To make python available for my colleagues I’ve moved it to a common folder called /sh/utils. When python permission is set to 755 then my colleagues get an error, but if I change permission to 775 (they are member of same group as I am) then it works fine. I would like to spread it out to other colleagues that are not in the same group and I don’t want to set permission to 777.
    Can users somehow set up an environment variable to point to their own home directory somewhere?

• 2.  RE: Setting up Python for common usage

Posted 08-27-2018 06:11

Sorry, my looking glass is broken.

Could you please show the error message they get when perm is 755? Additionally, are all other file/dir permissions ok from group and other perspectives, i.e. 755 or 644?

• 3.  RE: Setting up Python for common usage

Posted 08-27-2018 06:40

One additional remark: I guess that all relevant environment variables are set, according to README.ZOS. If not it doesn’t work, of course.

• 4.  RE: Setting up Python for common usage

Posted 08-27-2018 07:34

Shame with your classes :slight_smile:

We forgot to catch the error message and just changed to 775 and then it worked.
    I’ve now changed back to 755 and it still works, without changing anything else. Very strange.
    Feel free to forget about this topic.
    All environment variables was in place and not changed since first try.

• 5.  RE: Setting up Python for common usage

Posted 08-27-2018 07:45

:sunglasses:

I’m happy it works now. As you said strange things happen (I have strange things happening to me as well once in a while, sigh).

So, perhaps it was something between 0 and 1!