Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Postfix for z/OS availability?

• 1.  Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 04-18-2016 14:52

Is there a date/ETA for when Postfix for z/OS is available for download? I have a pre-GA version and am unable to install it in our test environment, so I was wondering when the final version would be available.

• 2.  RE: Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 04-21-2016 11:11

Postfix is currently in QA and we expect to make it available towards the end of May. Note that this is an EBCDIC port; we are working on enhanced ASCII sort version of all ported tools and will be releasing them through 2016.

• 3.  RE: Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 06-17-2016 09:47

Hello, just wondering if there are any updates for Postfix on z/OS. I don’t see it currently available from the ported tools web page.
    Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 06-27-2016 15:19

Work on other tools is taking precedence at the moment and I do not see Rocket working on postfix port before the fourth quarter.

• 5.  RE: Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 10-05-2016 12:07

Thanks! Any updates on the Postfix effort?

• 6.  RE: Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 10-06-2016 09:24

Unfortunately the update would be an increase in pessimism in that we have a piling on of higher priority porting jobs for Python, R, Jupyter Notebook, git and associated dependencies, packages and extensions (e.g. SparkR). You can probably see a pattern. Doing a parallel job of postfix in the next six months that might affect delivery dates of the aforementioned would require an important business case. If you think you have such a case please do not hesitate to reach me at peter.fandel@rocketsoftware.com.
    Regards,
    -Peter

• 7.  RE: Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 01-22-2018 11:32

It’s been over a year since the last post. Has any progress been made? We are migrating to z/OS 2.3 and losing capability for our javamail code to send to a local SMTP MTA. Going off-box for a mail server would force more complicated code on the application side that handling the storage and subsequent resend in the case of a down server would require.

Thanks!

• 8.  RE: Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 01-23-2018 09:39

My ignorance may have been showing here :frowning: Would Postfix actually BE an MTA, or is it just a SendMail client replacement?
    Rod

• 9.  RE: Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 01-24-2018 17:09

Sorry but no progress. Without a support contract, this work is not likely to get attention.

• 10.  RE: Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 03-28-2019 17:55

Peter, we are very interested in obtaining a SMTP MTA for z/OS 2.3 given that IBM has removed SMTPD and sendmail. We have a home-grown z/VM MFA application that we need to migrate to z/OS. Another year has passed since your last post on this topic so is there any news?

• 11.  RE: Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 03-29-2019 11:51

Hi,
    We don’t have a customer with support contract, who would be interested in Postfix. There is no current or planned work for porting Postfix.

• 12.  RE: Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 03-29-2019 12:30

So Rocket is not interested in attracting new customers? It seems like Rocket has put themselves in a chicken and egg situation.

• 13.  RE: Postfix for z/OS availability?

Posted 04-01-2019 14:08

Hi Mike,
    Rocket is interested in and in fact is gaining some traction in acquiring new customers for support contracts for our open source offerings. There is a chicken-and-egg dance of sorts that we must engage in as I try to run this lab and advance our portfolio while not running it at too much of a loss. That dance is about priorities and opportunities. I am open to hearing your business case at pfandel@rocketsoftware.com.
    Regards,
    -Peter Fandel