Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only
  • 1.  Git: ssh host key exchange fails

Posted 10-21-2016 16:52

I had a minor stumbling block with the git beta I’d like to share

The README.ZOS says to turn on some ASCII auto-conversion, but if you have never ssh’ed to your git repo before, the ebcdic ssh client will run w/ the auto-convert environment and mess up the interactive output and not take your ebcdic input (if you type ‘y’ and guess when you see the garbled interactive msg)

Obvious workaround is one-time ssh w/o the auto convert environment variables. Medium term, it might make sense to have an ssh wrapper that unsets that stuff when it’s called from git.

• 2.  RE: Git: ssh host key exchange fails

Posted 10-28-2016 13:24

Thanks for the feedback. We will at minimum add instructions to the release notes or readme so future users can avoid this problem.

• 3.  RE: Git: ssh host key exchange fails

Posted 11-11-2016 03:03

Hi Covener,

Is it possible to explain more closely your steps?
    We connected to git server via ssh first time and we didn’t get any error.
    Also I suggest you to use ssh certificate authentication between client and server.

Regards,
    Andrey

• 4.  RE: Git: ssh host key exchange fails

Posted 11-18-2016 18:43

I can’t get this to happen anymore, even when I zap my ~/.ssh/known_hosts and source the environment for git.

• 5.  RE: Git: ssh host key exchange fails

Posted 12-06-2016 12:29

I managed to get this problem again (when accessing a Linux host for the first time). Here’s a shell session illustrating the problem and the solution:

bash-2.03$ ssh linuxhost
    FOTS1370 Host key verification failed.
    bash-2.03$ ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no myuserid@linuxhost
    FOTS2274 Warning: Permanently added 'linuxhost' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
    hostname
    linuxhost.mycompany.com
    exit
    bash-2.03$