Open-source Languages & Tools for z/OS

View Only
  • 1.  Experience with sparse-checkout on z/OS?

Posted 08-25-2020 06:26
    Does anybody have experience with using sparse-checkout in conjunction with git for z/OS?
    I am trying to use it, but I am encountering some apparent inconsistencies with other platforms.
    However, I have no real experience using sparse-checkout on any platform, so I would like to get help from someone who does.

Thank you in advance
    Cris

• 2.  RE: Experience with sparse-checkout on z/OS?

ROCKETEER
    Posted 08-25-2020 11:20
    Hello Cris,

What differences do you see between platforms? It might help others explain what you are seeing.

Cheers,
    Ray

------------------------------
    M. Ray Mullins
    Rocket Software

• 3.  RE: Experience with sparse-checkout on z/OS?

Posted 08-26-2020 07:06

Hi Ray, thank you for your reply.

I have just completed rebuilding my working tree on linux, and I discovered that there is actually no difference among platforms.
    There had to be some difference in the way I initially set up my working tree on linux.

Anyway, I still need help on sparse-checkout (being it on z/OS or anywhere else).
    Here's the problem: I have configured my working tree to use shallow clone and the sparse-checkout feature.
    Working tree is initialized, connected to remote repo (git remote add origin [amended url]) and the local repo is populated with git fetch --depth=1 (shallow clone).
    Initially (first pull) everything works well. I have only one file in a subdirectory of my working tree, the one that I inserted in .git/info/sparse-checkout.

Now I want to add more files from the remote repo.
    I have added the paths of those files in the .git/info/sparse-checkout file, but if I run "git pull origin master" again, I get this:

[AMENDED]@BVLSYSB [~/[amended].hna.source]$ git pull origin master
    From [amended]
    * branch master -> FETCH_HEAD
    Already up-to-date.

This is not what I would have expected. Also not what I gather reading a lot of forum threads about sparse-checkout.
    What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance
    Cris

• 4.  RE: Experience with sparse-checkout on z/OS?

Posted 09-09-2020 13:01
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing your issue with the Forum. While Rocket Software provides this discussion area as a service for our Open Source members, we are not able to provide Forum support for all OS inquiries. Given that Rocket did not write Git itself, rather we ported it to z/OS, and your question has nothing to do with z/OS per se but rather is a purely Git question, please query standard Git resources on the internet to find answers.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter Fandel
    Rocket Software

• 5.  RE: Experience with sparse-checkout on z/OS?

Posted 09-10-2020 07:05
    You're correct Peter.
    Actually, I posted this thread because initially I was convinced it was a problem in the z/OS port, but later it turned out the problem was generalized.
    I also can say that I have found the solution a few days ago, but did not have time to update this thread.
    For anybody interested: I had to issue the git read-tree -mu HEAD command after adding the files to the .git/info/sparse-checkout and before issuing the pull command.

Best regards
    Cris

Cristiano Guadagnino
    Creval

• 6.  RE: Experience with sparse-checkout on z/OS?

Posted 09-12-2020 01:44
    Hi Cris,

Thanks for getting back to the forum with the solution.  I appreciate it. 

Gary

Gary Freestone
    IBM Australia

• 7.  RE: Experience with sparse-checkout on z/OS?

Posted 09-15-2020 05:14
    Hi Gary, you're welcome!

Cris

Cristiano Guadagnino
    Creval