D3 and mvBase

View Only

D3 10.4x shutdown

Stefano Gallotta's profile image
PARTNER Stefano Gallotta posted 04-10-2024 07:07

Hi all

Has anyone else noticed that you need an extra CR when you issue the shutdown (y command in D3 - AFTER it has started the shutdown process?

It gets "stuck" (bad word) at a point and unless you hit a CR only then does it do the remainder - shut down the printers and ends the shutdown process to return to Linux.

OR should we rather be using the systemctl stop D3svc ?

Regards

Stefano

David Knight's profile image
PARTNER David Knight

Hi Stefano,

I'll answer the second part first:

My understanding is d3 or all flavours should always be 'elegantly' shutdown via the shutdown verb. Further, it is useful to have a 'user-shutdown' macro that does system-specific tidying up; too. [The opposite of a user-coldstart macro, I guess?]

Thus stopping from 'outside' d3 is a bit of a no-no.

As for your first question; according to the manual there is no DOCUMENTED (y option; only (f.

I vaguely remember a (y or similar option so snooped around and the closest is the 'power-off' command has a (u for unconditional log off.

Note the shutdown command is a BASIC subroutine; so you can always have a read and figure out if (y is a valid option or not; and what it is supposed to do?

I'm wondering though if the extra CR is due to systems that display all the printers which is an ACCESSS command of sorts I believe, which will pause at each screen full?

My suggestion:

1. Check the manual for supported options
  2. Read the source of the command, possibly performing some debug steps to see where the pause is coming from; and why.

Hope that helps?

Cheers.

David Knight

Stefano Gallotta's profile image
PARTNER Stefano Gallotta

Hi @David Knight

Thanks for this (insight)

I did, however, see that WITHOUT the (y option - the shutdown behaves "as it should" requesting confirmation and shutting down in ONE stream (so as to speak).

I'll have a look at the code and see (expose) if at all the option (y is not used (somehow)

Thanks

Stefano

Brian Cram's profile image
ROCKETEER Brian Cram

Just FYI, Chris Macadam tried this on his 10.4 Linux system and is NOT getting that same behavior.