Rocket U2 | UniVerse & UniData

View Only

What is the procedure to update OpenSLL to 1.1.1k

Jon Kristofferson's profile image
Jon Kristofferson posted 03-21-2024 16:09

I have RHEL 8.8. It has OpenSSL 1.1.1k. My UniVerse version is 11.3.4. It is OpenSSL 1.1.1b. What is the correct procedure to upgrade UniVerse's OpenSSL to 1.1.1k. 

I'm trying to install a Python Module and it throws an error trying to download a new version of OpenSSL.

Jon

John Jenkins's profile image
John Jenkins

Jon,

UniVerse 11.4.1

UNV-32288 The version of OpenSSL shipped with UniVerse in this release has been upgraded to 3.0.

UNV-33046 Beginning with this release, on the Unix platform, the SSL component of the 3.11 version of Python bundled with UniVerse has been update to OpenSSL 3.0.
On windows, SSL components of the 3.11 version of Python bundled with UniVerse has been update to OpenSSL 1.1.1s

UniVerse 11.3.5

UNV-32977 The version of OpenSSL supplied with UniVerse 11.3.5 has been updated to 1.1.1n.

UniVerse 11.3.4

UNV-30157 Beginning with this release, FIPS capability now exists with the OpenSSL 1.1.1 version available on RHEL 8.

Otherwise there is guidance in Chapter 9 of the Security Features section of the guides - in extract:

• You can upgrade OpenSSL to a minor version for use with UniVerse.
    Upgrading a minor version means that the upgraded version of the API is compatible with the release
    version of the API (for example, upgrading from OpenSSL 1.1.1b to OpenSSL 1.1.1c, 1.1.1d, etc.) These
    new letter releases are normally patches to the same version and are compatible. It also means we do
    not support upgrading OpenSSL from version 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 (or other major version changes) because
    the API is incompatible.

The full details and usage can be found from the Product Availability Matrix (PAM) here https://rbc.rocketsoftware.com/ under Resources -> Product Availability -> UniVerse/Platform, look under the Release Notices for late updates and changes, and the Documentation links for the general release SSL information. I recommend looking at the 11.3.4 version you are using and also at 11.3.5 and  11.3.5.1001 as the most recent UniVerse 11 releases.

Hoping this helps...

Regards,

John Jenkins