D3 and mvBase

Expand all | Collapse all

Modernization - what does it mean to you?

• 1.  Modernization - what does it mean to you?

ROCKETEER
    Posted 14 days ago

Modernization.

You probably see this word all the time. I'm curious, what does it mean to you? Specifically, what does modernization mean for your business-critical application that is built on a MultiValue platform.

Your organization has invested in your business-critical MultiValue-based applications over the course of years and maybe decades.

How do you ensure those applications can adapt and grow alongside your organization for continued return on investment for years to come?

If you're focused on increasing productivity, are you looking at development tools and modern programming languages that are easy to use, efficient, and address the skills gap?

If you're focused on simplifying integration, are you interested in lightweight, zero-install client applications with Open APIs?

Is speed to market at the top of your list, including implementing continuous integration, continuous delivery (CI/CD), cloud (on-premises or hybrid cloud deployment and containerization)?

If you're not focused on any of the above, I'd love to hear what you're working on. Looking forward to hearing your ideas, hesitations, and successes.

------------------------------
    Julianna Cammarano
    Director of Product Marketing
    Rocket Software Inc
    Waltham MA United States

• 2.  RE: Modernization - what does it mean to you?

PARTNER
    Posted 11 days ago
    I am saddened when I see so many businesses spending precious resources on decommissioning their perfectly good server hardware and moving all their operations to the public cloud. I believe that most have done so without a genuine understanding that this is NOT true "digital transformation".

Yes, hosted desktop in the cloud can revolutionise some businesses and having servers hosted in a public cloud may have some benefits, but the feedback I have received from some early adopters is now as I suspected, that they are disappointed with the outcome, as they now pay for someone else's servers, and although there are some pretty smart tools available to administer cloud hosted server farms, the usual support issues have not gone away, rather they are now compounded by being part of a very large and tempting target for malicious actors.

I believe that hybrid cloud will suit most, if there is a genuine need for a public cloud solution in the first case.

"Modernization" - Of course that means different things to different people. I believe that AI (Artificial Intelligence) applied in various ways can be a game-changer, and there are now some pretty good offerings available. BPM (Business Process Management) (my speciality) comprising modelling and automation is another significant means to "Modernization". This is not intended to be a "promo", but I have committed myself wholly to this field and have developed a "zero code" business process automation product. It is both database and operating system agnostic and can be used on-prem or cloud-based.

OK - that is not meant to be a "promo". I will readily provide a list of recognised international leaders in this field if asked.

Business automation enables a business to be much more agile, especially if implemented using a "low-code" or "zero-code" system, as when the need arises to meet an unexpected challenge, the process can be very quickly changed to meet the new criteria. Then if the conditions return to what they used to be like (maybe with less dramatic changes) the previous model can be reinstated with maybe a few minor changes to match a new understanding of what is needed.

BPM is my passion! I have lived and breathed it for 25 years, initially within my D3-hosted FMIS / ERP product that some clients have used for 25 to 30 years. Please feel free to ask questions about this specific area of "Modernization".

Alan Miles
    Business and IT Consultant
    Amba Ltd
    Whanganui, New Zealand